A few YouTube Vids, Battle Rifle Comparison Time Trials

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

A few YouTube Vids, Battle Rifle Comparison Time Trials

Post by Archer »

I'm both a lever holic and a military style rifle guy. InRangeTV, Forgotten Weapons and Paul Harrell are all good YouTube channels for watching people do things with firearms that may make you think a little.

InRange did a collaborative effort to show how some of the .308 'Battle Rifles' are handled by a range of people who have different experiences with the rifles.

RD if this kind of thing should go in the Topic Bucket or All Other Firearms let me know but it did seem like it was mostly range relevant.

So their baseline using 5.56 AR is probably ok but using the 5.45 AK is IMO probably not the right caliber as it isn't exactly common. I think they should have used the 7.62x39 AKM either in place of the 5.45 in addition simply because it's still WAY more common. The AR still gives the shooters an advantage with the baseline because it is what they claimed every one of these shooters is used to. I'd maintain the 5.45 is close to the recoil of the 5.56 and that it makes that easier for them as well.

They should have shown the baseline shooting as well.

Battle Rifle Time Trials - Episode 1 - "Cold Start" •Aug 12, 2019 InRangeTV

Battle Rifle Time Trials - Episode 2 - "Transitions" Aug 14, 2019

Battle Rifle Time Trials - Episode 3 - "Splits" Aug 19, 2019

Battle Rifle Time Trials - Episode 4 - "1-5 Drill, Modified" •Aug 30, 2019 InRangeTV

Battle Rifle Time Trials - Episode 5 - FINAL RESULTS •Sep 2, 2019 InRangeTV

Simple drills but it doesn't look like they managed to pull in anyone who had particular experience with several of the rifles and they specifically excluded Karl from the times.

I totally disagree with his complaints about the muzzle device on the M1A. They simply aren't that heavy. The fact that they like the M1 Garand but don't like the M1A is interesting in light of the fact that I think the Garand has more barrel and the gas tube on the end of the gun more than compensates for the flash hider they are complaining about on the M1A. There is some tuning that can be done with the M1A but not necessarily a lot. Possibly the most common is to add a cleaning kit in the stock to change the balance and weight. It looks like they are using the fiberglass stock which is maybe as much as a pound lighter and might throw the balance off forward even more. Trigger jobs can be done but were probably not done to service guns in the field and main recoil springs can be changed. The sights on the M1A are perhaps the best of the bunch in the guns they tested. I know lots of folks who still love the M1A but I will say most of us are probably older than these guys. Paul Harrell did a comparison of the M1A vs the Garand that came down on the side of the M1A.

I would say the .308 AR they used was ok but there's a lot of other options for how they can be set up and put together.

Regarding the FN SCAR

It might be interesting to hear what the HK fanboys thought about the HK91/G3 results.
I know at least one person who used one overseas in conflict areas and his only complaint was the weight of the system. He said he used a M4 his last deployment because he didn't need the extra range of the HK and the M4 was a lot easier to carry.
Daryll

Re: A few YouTube Vids, Battle Rifle Comparison Time Trials

Post by Daryll »

Another good channel is "9 hole reviews"... they do a series of "practical accuracy" videos, comparing various rifles out to long range.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: A few YouTube Vids, Battle Rifle Comparison Time Trials

Post by Archer »

I don't think I've seen that channel before.
I seem to be hitting Forgotten Weapons, InRangeTV, Mark Novak, C & Rsenal although YouTube seems intent on trying to hide the firearm related content from you makes you search it out, rather than continue suggesting channels you have bothered to watch. (Same sort of thing to a lesser extent with Metal Music.)