Finally getting to the range!

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Finally getting to the range!

Post by Archer »

So I joined the local member's only after bottoming out the land cruiser three to four times going out to the redneck shooting area a several months back.
I finally got out a couple weeks ago with a new Buck Mark Contour and a new to me Beretta NEOS and put around 150 rounds down range (although the short target setup can hardly be called 'range') a week or two ago. The Buck Mark failed to feed twice in the first mag but sent the next 4 out without problems. The Beretta is subject to recall and I couldn't get it to fail. Ammo was Remington Golden Bullets which failed to fire 3 times all three of which fired on a second hit and CCI Standard V which was flawless.

Got on it again today with a coworker. Was supposed to be the boss and myself but local politics intervened and he had to go let the local city fathers (and mothers) know that setting up a dirt fog next to the local airport was a rather inelegant idea.

So one of our out of town 30+ year experts was visiting and we hit the range after work instead.
Same Buck Mark Contour along with a Smith 19 and Smith 48.
The visitor shot mostly the Contour with the Remington Golden Bullets. 3 failures to fire out of probably 100-150 rounds. The only 1 of the three I managed to capture clean and put into the Model 19 would not go off with a second hit. This was the first time I'd had either of the Smiths to the range. I ran 3 cylinders of CCI MaxiMags through the 48 without any issues other than ejection took a bit of effort. Not surprising. Shots grouped about as well as I was shooting. Should have been tighter but the wingnut behind the sights was to blame not the gun. Ran about 50+ rounds through the Model 19 with similar results. Starting with CCI Standard V two cylinders were flawless. Ran a cylinder of the Golden Bullets after watching the soot plume out of the Browning next to me and it worked ok but the hits on the target were noticeably darker AND the cylinder was tight unlatching and latching. That Remington crap is some dirty sooty ammo. Back to the CCI STD V for several more cylinders including one or two for the visitor. He claimed the sights were much better for him than the Buck Mark.

I ran 4 mags through the Buck Mark near the end of the session. Nice function NO FTF/F (Failures to Feed OR Fire). I was running the same Remington stuff. Groups were ok but nothing exceptional. Again lack of practice from the wingnut And/or my aging eyes. The visitor seemed slightly impressed however. With continued practice I hope to see the groups shrink by half.

As a note on the Contour's sights. They aren't bad but there's too much light around the front sight OR in other words the notch in the rear is too large for the width of the front sight for fine alignment IMO. No real problems for rapid acquisition but a bit much for picking a fine bead.

I had picked up 100 CCI MiniMag HPs and 100 Winchester Super X HPs but didn't actually get them in the guns for tryout. Figure I NEED to do that with the Contour. The visitor claims he's got one of the Buck Marks for his wife and they've had problems with it. Says his fires CCI and one other brand but jams on most others and two trips to Browning have not born fruit. Just the opposite of my experiences with the little guns but I expect to get a lot more hands on current experience quickly as I picked this one up for myself. My boss picked up a Camper and my father back east picked up a SS Std recently.

My goal is to hit the range 2 to 4 times a month for 30 minutes to an hour after work. I've got a few guns that haven't had any range time as well as a few that need scopes sighted in. If I can get a couple scopes sighted in and at least 1 new gun to the range a month plus 1 to 2 handgun sessions in for the next few months I'll be a most happy camper. IF I can do that AND keep my ammo expended replaced through purchase and/or reloading I'll be even moreso.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Finally getting to the range!

Post by Jaybm »

Sounds like a plan ! Haven't ever spotted a Contour out at our range, interesting
firearm.
Not many .22LR shooters at all. The trend is 9mm around here.
My Buck Mark has been flawless with whatever ammo it's fed.
It takes a few minutes to get the "feel" for the really light
trigger.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns