load development

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
sheepherder

load development

Post by sheepherder »

Started to test .45lc loading metrics for new Rossi M92

First, Trail boss in Starline cases with CCI 300 large pistol primers. Used 4.8, 5.0 and 5.3 grains of powder under a Oregon trail RNFT lead prelubed bulled seated to 1.580 inches.

All shot well at 25 yards. Easily able to hit 3 inch spinners and shoot 1-2 inch groups.

Seems lowest, 4.8 grains was the tightest for five shots. The rest I used was not the super stable type I use for a .308 but sturdy -don't know how much more shooting and a rock solid rest will make in accuracy with iron sights.

The Skinner sights are really nice for target acquisition. Can't decide if I like to hold on the bull's eye or just below. Clearly makes a difference in POI. I notice that the sight picture really is different depending on how tightly shoulder the gun is and how close I get to the front of the stock.

Couple questions:
1. How many rounds and at what distance do most people shoot to determine the best loads?
2. Do other like to shoot lower weight bullets at hotter loading get better or worse grouping using Trail Boss and heavier bullets?
3. How long does it take to get tired of hearing the 'smacking sound' of that big piece of lead hitting the spinners?

Clearly, having an easy handling carbine is the way to go for shooting the .45lc It is so easy to get on target - now just have to master the Kentucky windage for shooting at different distances.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: load development

Post by Archer »

A buddy of mine had a .45 Colt model 94 Winchester Trapper that he used to make mouse phart loads for.
Shooting the gun was a lot of fun BUT I had problems getting groups since I had a habit of AIMING at the last bullet hole which would be almost exactly 1.5" above the point of aim. Getting a nicely spaced stitch line was no problem however.

I suspect his loads were basic bullseye popgun level back then.
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

Have some pic of the targets for the Trail Boss loads.
Top to bottom are lowest grains (4.8) to highest (5.3).

Point of aim changed on the three targets. Don't know if it can be seen as a pen marked, filled circle. Bottom, cover center; middle, below center; top between center and bottom of triangle

I am a bench scientist during the day and I think I need a lot more rounds to decide which is best. Thoughts?

I will say I can hit 5 inch steel plates without missing at 25 and 50 yards. Leave it alone of push to dead on for a target?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I like TB for fun shooting loads - 250-255's at anywhere from 800 to 100 FPS Black Hawk and '92. For serious shooting I'm using a nominal 300 grain with H110 a little less in the BH than in the '92. I cast that boolit from a Lee 452-300 mold and lubed with the gas check installed it goes about 315 and it SMACKS what it hits.

When I start with a new load I usually load 10 of each bullet weight and shoot 2 5 shoot groups at 25 yards with pistol calibers and 50 with rifle. Load a bunch of the best and shoot several 10 shot groups to verify. The new Handloader has an interesting article on 3 shoot versus larger test groups.

#3 If you get tired of that and it doesn't bring a grin to your face you're probably on the wrong side of the turf. It's why I shot IHMSA for a lot of years and want to shoot NRA BPCR. Bang................wait for it.......Clang :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image