.38 Spl in Rossi 92 for Coyotes?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
TexasJackKin

.38 Spl in Rossi 92 for Coyotes?

Post by TexasJackKin »

Looking for opinions on using my '92 with .38 Spl loads (Loaded to just sub sonic, to keep the noise down) for coyotes at relatively close range 25 to 40 yards. My loads are 125 grain hollow points at about 1120 FPS.

Is this adequate for just behind the shoulder shots, I don't want them running off to far as I'm only on 5 acres, and I'd like to collect the pelts....
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
NFC, CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, AZ,CA
Yes, I'm Related to Texas Jack
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: .38 Spl in Rossi 92 for Coyotes?

Post by mr surveyor »

In 1976 I got a lucky shot at a yote in the fresh cut hay meadow at near 100 yards .... shooting off a tractor, stopped with the idle run up to simulate normal running ... old Win 1892 pump. gallery model, 22 short. He never heard the first two "ranging shots" (just chased the little dust flurries) and the third one dropped him like a sack of rocks. In my case at the time, it was lucky shot placement with a .22 short. I'd bet the same hot placement at 40 yards with a .38 spl would probably do the trick.

But, why not bump up to at least a moderate .357 mag and be sure?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Ignorant question, but are these Mearns coyotes? For those guys, I’d say yes. For the heavier framed sub-species, I would be hesitant.

1120 is right on the hairy edge of supersonic, depending on temperature and altitude. Normal variation in velocity might bump you over the barrier. I might suggest a heavier, slower bullet, especially at those ranges. You should still get good expansion from the right bullet.
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

Well, that sent me to Wikipedia, to try to figure out, still not sure.... Most appear what I would call normal sized coyotes, but at least one (never saw more than one at a time), is about 50% larger interesting to say the least.

As to why I don't load hotter, I wanted to keep it sub-sonic to keep the noise down, in an effort to be a good neighbor, even though they have all given me the go ahead, as they trust me to be safe..... I could load a heaver bullet, but 125 grains is what I had in stock. What would be a good bullet that would likely expand at sub sonic velocities?
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

When I moved to AZ from WA, I was confused that all I saw were juveniles. Then I found out they were Mearns, which are a substantially smaller and more wiry desert sub-species, the most famous being Wile E. Coyote. I’ve also learned that roadrunners really do do that thing with their tongue.

I would say that any old 158 Gr JHP running at 1,000 fps should do the trick.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I killed several with an old Ruger Single Six and 40 grain solid 22 LR. Hit through the heart broadside, they ran 30-50 yards and piled up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've killed our South Texas coyotes with my R92 357 Mag, durn near close enough to touch them, out through 125-yards. But it wouldn't be a comparison as was shooting a heavier bullet at a higher velocity.

I shoot more bobcats and coyotes with my Marlin 1894CL chambered 32-20 Win; I use a 115-grain bullet, but my velocity is up at 2100 FPS. I also shoot a lot of coons with it at feeders; distances of 70-yards are so. The bodies of our coons get as large as young javelina; especially when corn fed.

I'm talking about my experience here in South Texas, but coyotes are tougher than most think. Given the grass and brush, the shooting of coyotes has to be spot on. What is the accuracy of your load? How is it going to do if it touches a blade of grass or a small leaf? What I would say is to ensure that your load is MOA or better. Even though the range is close, a coyote's vitals are small. I'm not sure why the slow load is important to you, but I doubt it will be quiet, as Harry noted.

As a note, I've hunted coyotes with the 219 Zipper, 222 Rem, and 223 Rem; none being my favorites. I don't own the cartridges anymore. I also own a 218 Bee and 25-20 Win. They sit right there with them, in my opinion, and would sell them if they weren't Marlin 1894CLs and more or less matched my 32-20. My favorite varminter rifle has become my Ruger Mini-30 with the 123-grain PPU SP loaded as if you mean it.
Michael
TexasJackKin

Post by TexasJackKin »

My interest in lower velocity, is to keep the round sub-sonic, in an effort to avoid the “crack” of a super-sonic round. Although, shooting at such close range, the super-sonic flight would only be about 25 yards, so it might not be that big of a deal. That said, it might be worth upping the load somewhat…..

My current light load (to my ear) is no louder than a standard velocity .22 rim-fire, and is quite accurate. I may have to re-think this a bit, as one slightly louder shot, would probably bother neighbors less than two quieter shots.

I may have to do some experimenting, something that’s always fun, because this rifle is a hoot to shoot!
Thanks for the advice, and insight….
Mike M.
Dayton, NV
NRA Life member
Front Sight DG
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I understand your goal. Length of flight has naught to do with the decibel level of the sonic boom. If your load is consistently quiet, then you’re running below Mach 1. I’d say, go shoot some coyotes. As the 22 lr shooters can attest, it’s more about shot placement than anything else. If you find that penetration or expansion is lacking, then you’ll know that you need to change something. But at the ranges you’re shooting, I doubt it.

My coyote rifles are both 243s. I share RD’s low opinion of 22s. I don’t have any noise restrictions, and I need to reach out a lot further than you do. A center fire 22 may get there accurately, but I don’t think they carry enough energy.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You get a sonic crack coming off the projectile.

Likewise you get a sonic crack from the gas behind the projectile as it exits regardless of whether or not the bullet is sub or supersonic. A good bit of suppressor design is how to allow that gas to expand without having it exit sonic and one of the big reasons why a 'can' has added volume.