2020 Deer Hunting with Rossis

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 2020 Deer Hunting with Rossis

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Other than thinking maybe it has to do with the volume available in the chamber and the barrel and the burning characteristics of the 2 powders. I have been moving away from H110 to Lil'Gun were appropriate. I get very close velocity wise and the SDs are lower. Purely subjective but I feel like Lil'Gun runs cooler. May be just me and my guns and loads, but cooler equates to longer barrel life, not that I'm even remotely close to shooting a barrel out.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Mashuga wrote:
KeepArms wrote:To the OP, I'm just genuinely curious, why the change from H110 to Lil Gun?
I had made up loads with both H110 & Lil Gun. When we went to the range to make sure guns were still sighted my son shot both and preferred the Lil Gun loads. I thought they both shot very good patterns but he chose the the Lil Gun. I didn't chrono them but according to the book the loads were close in velocity to each other. Also, according to the book the Lil Gun has significantly less pressure. This was from the Hodgdon web site.

Now, here's my question; according to the Hodgdon site, for the .44 mag with a 210 gr. bullet it is showing similar velocity for the 2 powders but, the Lil Gun shows higher pressures than H110. Not as much difference as in the .357 but still, Lil Gun show higher pressures for the .44. Can one of the more knowledgeable reloaders chime in on why this is.
Combustion can be black fracking magic.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

The 92 .44 mag got it done today!!! Nice 8 pt at 40 yds in a foggy field out of my new ground blind. 240 gr JSP over 22 gr of 2400. A side note: Before daylight, I freed a cow horn spike from a barbed wire fence. Heck of a day, I’m done, limited out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mashuga

Post by Mashuga »

Nice deer, congrats. Looks like you'll have some good meals ahead.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Reference the Spike, crazy how some hunting days are!
Michael