Rossi is ready to hunt

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
9x80Drilling

Rossi is ready to hunt

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Annual deer hunt to Wyoming is just around the corner, so I fired my 92 .45 Colt, 16", SS, at targets one last time. This year it's topped with a Burris 2.75 x 20 Scout. In past years I've tried a Williams peep with patridge, then red fire sight front, a Leatherwood 2 x 7 Scout, and a Burris FastFire 3 with mediocre results. Some issues were caused by me (loose NOE rail screws [oops! my bad]; others were just me (aging eyes just not keeping up anymore). Of all the sighting combos I've tried, I like this present Scout setup the best. We'll see how it works in the field.

Preferred load remains 250 XTP over 25 Lil'Gun, CCI LPP in Starline brass. This gave multiple 2" three shot groups at 95 paces. Two shots at 125 yards hit 2" low, were centered and touching each other.

At this range session I also tried the 240 XTP Mag and the Barnes 225 PBX over a few different published Lil'Gun loads. The XTP Mag groups all opened to 3", 4" and 5" depending on different primers. The Barnes bullets shot 6" high and 6" apart. The Barnes loads, crimped in the middle of the crimp groove, would not reliably chamber. The bullet noses were not clearing the mag tube. That's not gonna work!

I'll be back home late in this month and will write up the field results. I have no antelope tags this year unfortunately, but several deer tags.
kaycee

Re: Rossi is ready to hunt

Post by kaycee »

Could you post a picture of your scope setup?
Kevin
________
20" SS 92 - .357 Mag
20" SS 92 - .44 Mag
20" SS 92 - .45 LC
20" SS 92 - .454 Casull
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Good luck, and good hunting!
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Thanks Harry for the good luck send off.
kaycee, I get my repaired phone back Monday, the day I leave. I'll get some photos in the field. Suffice it to say, the rail is the NOE silver colored one. The scope unfortunately is not silver, mounted with Burris quick detach rings and is positioned just ahead of the arc that ejecting cartridges make.
BTW, my travels take me through Kaycee, Wyoming.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck! This past Monday, I found out I was drawn for a mule deer hunt in the western Rolling Plains here in Texas. Not sure what is going with me yet. I would like to shoot a deer with the Rio Grande I rechambered to 30-30 AI.
Michael