Dad and Deer Hunting part 1

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Dad and Deer Hunting part 1

Post by Moon Tree »

Dad’s First Deer

In the early 80”s in Kentucky one could only take buck with at least one fork. Some counties did allow antlerless deer to be taken on last day or two of gun season. The previous year, I had failed to harvest a deer and neither did my hunting buddies. Venison had become a staple for our hunting/fishing camps. We had to slum it, and eat burgers for a year.

Sitting on the couch chatting with Dad few weeks before deer season he said teasingly, “I guess I’m going have to shoot a deer for you this year.” Although, his tone was playful, I knew his intent was serious. “I guess you’re going have to,” was my smiling reply. I was happy Dad was actually going to deer hunt. On my next trip home, Dad proudly showed me his new shotgun, a 12 gauge, Winchester model 120 that came with an additional slug barrel with rifle sights. “Figured if I’m going have to shoot deer for you, I might as well get me slug gun. And I might use the other barrel for squirrels,” he said, grinning.

Dad never hunted from a tree stand or blind in his life. He preferred to slip through the woods looking for his prey. And, he never went into the woods in the dark. His thoughts were, “I can’t see to shoot, why should be there.”

When I got home from deer camp, I saw the light on my answering machine blinking. It was Mom’s voice on the machine. “Hi honey, your day shot a deer for you. It’s hang in Uncle Bill’s meat locker. He wants to know you want him to do with it. Call me. I love you.”

As usual Mom picked up the phone. “Hi sweetie, how are you? Your Dad got you a deer. He wants to know what you done with it,” she said in one breath. “Can I talk to Dad?”

“Hi Dad, congratulation on your deer.”

“Thank you. It’s just a little 4 pointer, but I didn’t want you boys to not have venison this year.”

Dad was never one for phone conversions, so I wanted to wait to get the whole story when I got home.

“Tell Uncle Bill to just hold it the cooler until I get there Friday.”

The next Friday, Mom met me at the door with a big hung. “Dinner’s ready. Let’s eat.”

After dinner Dad and I moved to living room. “Tell me about your deer hunt.”

“Well, Saturday morning I went up our holler. I walked within 30 yards of 6 or 8 bedded does. A couple stood up. They all just watched me walk by. There were no buck with them so I kept moving. I didn’t see anything else that morning.”

“You wander around our hollow so much, that the deer don’t even pay attention to you,” I said laughing.

“Sunday morning I hunted above the lake. (Uncle Bill owned the farm next to us. He maintained an old logging road that went up one point turned on a bench and came down another point. The top side is about 400 yards above the lake on the side of a mountain.) At the first bend, I sat down on a stump to have a cigarette. (I knew exactly where he was talking about. The logging road does a 90 degree turn to the right along a bench, but the bench actually wraps around the point to the left.) As I was reaching for my lighter when I heard something coming around the bench. A little 4 pointer came within 3 yards of me. When it turned it’s head, I moved my shotgun that was resting in my lab toward the deer. I said, ‘this one is for David.’ I shot from the hip and hit just behind the shoulder.”

My mouth dropped, My father took his first deer without even shouldering his gun. But, I didn’t doubt his story. Years early, he and I were walking out of the squirrel woods when the topic of the “Rifleman” came up. Lucas McCain shot his Winchester from the hip. Dad said he used to be pretty good at shooting from the hip and suggested that he give it a try. I set a tin can on a fence post at about 15 yards. With his.22 Remington, he hit the can 3 out of 3 attempts shooting from his hip.

I did get a deer that year. But I can’t remember the story. But I will never forget the story of my dad’s first deer.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
ksmoose

Re: Dad and Deer Hunting part 1

Post by ksmoose »

Moon enjoyed the story . Thank you.
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Thank you for taking the time to post this for us. Wonderful story.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Thank you ! How I enjoy reading tales from the hunting fields.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks guys. His second deer is a little more bizarre. I will post it soon.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.