2022 hunting tales

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
9x80Drilling

2022 hunting tales

Post by 9x80Drilling »

We aren't getting hunting stories yet this Fall. Does anyone have any good ones for us?
Unfortunately, I'm not going to get out this year. Two weeks ago I had open heart surgery for mitral valve repair. The docs say no lifting more than 5(!) pounds for a couple of months, and absolutely no recoil.
Sounds cruel.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2022 hunting tales

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry to hear about the condition 9x80, but at least the surgery has patched things up.

The move off the ranch has left me short on hunting, reloading, and shooting. I had a total rotator cuff repair of my "shooting" shoulder a month ago, so I have about the same limitation as you.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am no hunter and have fired one round of 45 AUTO and about three dozen rounds of 5.56X45 in the last two years.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

out of the three of us I'm the only one to get a deer this year.
he didn't belong where he was anyway.

the deer I shot was a mule deer/white tail cross, and I got him off of a sage brush flat out in the lava fields.
nothing exciting.. LOL
I was in the shadows, him and a couple of does tried sneaking through a slim line [like 10-15' wide] of aspen trees growing along a lava rock outcropping at about 200yds.
they went through and come out to go up a ridge.
bang, thud..... drag,drag,drag,drink some water, drag,drag,drag.... god I wish I had a cell phone,, drag,drag,drag.
hey, there goes my Bronco down the wrong road looking for me.
walk,walk,walk drive,drive drive.,,, drag ,drag, cuss, drag, stupid wife, drag.

well you get the picture.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Here's a story from this years hunt in North Eastern Ohio.

I was hunting the other side of my 120 acre farm from my son-in-law. I hunt the corner edge of a field, he is sitting in the woods, probably just under 1/2 mile away from me. Just after lunch, a shot comes from his general direction. Our phones start to blow up between him and my two other son's (who are also dispersed around the property) about who shot, did he get it, which way is it running if not... My S-I-L says he is pretty sure he hit it, but it ran over a little rise, so he can't see if or where if went down. He waits about 15 minutes and goes up to find a little bit of a blood trail, but it is difficult to follow because, naturally, it was raining.

He texts out if anybody want to come over and help him track. This is fine, but rather than wait for a response, he then proceeds to call my phone. Like a dumass, I pick up and am about to ask him why he would be calling instead of waiting for a text response when sure enough, 5 deer pop out of the woods to my left and trot across the field about 70 yards in front of me.

Now I'm really annoyed and I ask him why he is calling me when deer are running in front of my blind. He responds then shoot them!. So I put the phone down on the shelf, watch the last of the 5 does (of course the smallest of them, but meat for the freezer) clear the corner of my blind so I can get a shot out the side window. I make a little grunt so she stops and bang... .454 drops her in the field. She does not take another step. Frankly, she hardly even flopped.

Now the interesting part of the story. When I put the phone down, I never hung up. So my S-I-L got to hear my gun shot twice. Once through the phone and of course the other through the woods. In case you were curious, the shot that was picked up the the phone, sent to a cell tower, and then back to his phone was faster to his ears than the natural shot across the field and through the woods.

Adjunct physics lesson... speed of light is faster than the speed of sound... even with some slight delay through the electronics....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now that's a good story!
Michael