.357 OK for SASS Long Range Rifle Competition?

Experience the old west through the Rossi rifle!
oldylocks

.357 OK for SASS Long Range Rifle Competition?

Post by oldylocks »

Hello M92 Owners,

I'm ramping up for Cowboy Action (Single Action Revolver, Lever Action, & Double Barrel) and have been reading that the competitions may also include a Long range side match. I have an M92 .357 16" barrel, iron sites. Has anyone ever used this type of lever action for Long Range shooting? Any advice? Issues?

Thank you
oldylocks

Re: .357 OK for SASS Long Range Rifle Competition?

Post by oldylocks »

Also, any experience with a certain brand of ammo that might be best for long range? Or, recommended reloads?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

OP, how far is "Long Range" ?

I have a 24" R92 .357 that will reach out as far as any. If I had better eyes and reloaded I'd say 100 yards, hitting a 10" x 10" target would be good. I'm not a good shot and my eyes are old. These pistol caliber rifles\carbines are not really made for anything further.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Here's a link to my range report using my 33/357 with 20" barrel. You'll see I had some issues with my peep sight, but this might give you an idea.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... 413#p31413
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
ddj

Post by ddj »

Here's a video from kind of an interesting character. In this one he's shooting an 1873 lever gun chambered in 44-40 at 300 meters. He shoots nothing but black powder. If you can see that far you may be able to get it dialed in. Half the fun is trying.

[youtube][/youtube]
oldylocks

Post by oldylocks »

DDJ,

That's a pretty entertaining youtube... thanks. I sure can't see that far. I like his comment about wanting to be buried with his 1873.
ddj

Post by ddj »

Yup=He has a lot of good videos on old guns. I think he's from Hungary and I know he's studying for his doctorate in I believe military history. He also has some videos on cowboy action shooters in Europe. All good videos.
Silas Longshot

Post by Silas Longshot »

I was using my 16" Winchester .357 in SASS with pretty good result. Now if you wanted a 'long range' then get your M92 in a 24" version. Been out of it a while, check with the rules to see if 'tang sights' are legal. Possibly so, since it's 'technology' from that era. If so, then that will give you the best sights for the money, short of actual telescopic jobs.
oldylocks

Re: .357 OK for SASananS Long Range Rifle Competition?

Post by oldylocks »

I've been checking out the tang type sights... I've read some good things about a tang sight.

I like the handiness of my 16-incher Rossi .357. I'd like to make it work, but guess that even with the tang sight installed, it would not be the best choice for long-range shooting. What I need to do is attend the long shot competition and see what is being used.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Your's truly,

Deputy Daag Nabbit