Unsized as cast safe?

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Blind Hawg

Unsized as cast safe?

Post by Blind Hawg »

Would it be safe to fire 429 200 gr bullets cast from Lee aluminum molds as cast & unsized in a .44 92? They miked .429 to .430?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Unsized as cast safe?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Unless you have an unusually tight barrel they should be fine. Have you slugged your barrel?

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Will slug it today
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Blind Hawg wrote:Will slug it today
The standard advise is to go 1 to 2 thousand over grove diameter. I've seldom found any need to deviate from that advise. If it looks like they will work make up a few dummies and make sure they cycle through the gun.I found with my Marlin 38/55 that if I got much beyond .002 over the case mouths got to big to chamber all the way. Probably rare but this one was rebored and chambered for 38/55 and has a tight chamber.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Got a good slug but I don't believe my 50 yr old Craftsmen micrometer. It indicated .433.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The best slugging material, hands down, are pure lead egg fishing sinkers, these have a hole longitudinally through them. Lead is pliable; it springs back after compression, such as when you slug a barrel. If the lead you use as a slug doesn't have a hole, drill one through it just like a fishing sinker would have.

I've seen some large diameters posted on the forum, I've never seen anybody comment on the material they used. Make sure your slug doesn't "spring" back.
Michael
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

I would have never thought about about the lead springing back! I did use a fishing weight but not the egg shape.
I went to Harbor Freight with the slug and miked it with one of their finest digital micrometers, at least I know my old Craftsman is still accurate.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Lead sinkers is gettin scarce! WalMart & Bass Pro was out. Academy Sports had a few. Used a swivel weight with brass swivel wire removed. That lead slug with the hole mic'd .432 or a little less.Guess I'll have to live with it.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

NOE molds sells "extra fat" molds. I have numerous ones.
You can "lap" your mold to a larger diameter.
Or you can install high temp furnace foil tape in strips on the mold so it does not close completely getting a fatter slug. Run it through a fat sizer die and it will come out round.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.