First .357 Bullets Cast in a Long While

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
GasGuzzler

Re: First .357 Bullets Cast in a Long While

Post by GasGuzzler »

I stopped using my hot plate long ago when I realized it wasn't the cool mold that was my hindrance. It's the drastically inconsistent and horribly unpredictable pour valve and completely under-built handle system on my Lee pot that drives me insane. In the time it takes to pour 50 158 grain bullets I have a leak formation that is likely 1500 grains. I emptied the pot and scraped it clean. I tried to lap the stopper per instructions but none of the lever system will come apart on my pot. The rod and "threaded" plate is so light duty I can for sure predict it will all strip and deform if I put enough onions to it to take it apart. So for now I just scatter splatter all over the place and pray for good pours.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

...Oh i must add I found a work around. All I have to do is add one more step to the casting dance (unless I'm using that deplorable old style Lee two hole RN .45 mold...then add two more steps). That step comes right after you want the molten lead to STOP flowing. Smack the damn top of the pour valve linkage with my hammer handle mold breaker-offer then use it to smack the sprue cutter open then use it to knock the bullets loose.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

That's the thing that stops me from buying much Lee stuff, it's so light duty. I understand that you can't have low price and heavily built/high quality at the same time. And to Lees credit, they make some darned good stuff for the price. But those two hole molds are a joke. I have tried three or four of them and they are all in the trash now. I am more of a quantity type person and I treat my stuff pretty hard, to get that quantity. And the lee molds aren't really made for that.

That said, I love the NOE molds. They are heavy duty and hold up to my abuse. And I recently got an Arsenal mold which is the same quality. It really looks to be a carbon copy of the NOE molds.

My old Lyman melting pot was given to me from a brother in law who just could not get his bullets to stop leading and gave up on cast about 30 years ago. And it was given to him from a guy who had the same experience. I also got the 450 bullet sizer and sizing dies with it. The root to their problem probably came from them sizing their 357s with a .357 sizer die, that don't work!

The Lyman pot is a quality built product and has held up for a long time now. I can remember watching that first guy casting some 358156 slugs with it back in 1974 or 75. They didn't do much with it but when I got it I gave it a work out and have been doing so for a long time now.

But the valve on it does leak some times. I have lapped it a couple of times. And like you I'll give it a WHACK with the sprue hammer when the leak gets to bad.

Well it's time to get off my butt and go out to the shed and cast a few 45 rnfp bullets. I ran out yesterday and still have a few empty 45 auto rim cases to fill. %@*&$ though is that when I start casting, I like to do at least a thousand. That way I don't have to do it again for a while. But I gots the time now, thanks to corona!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The one mold is the only Lee I have trouble with and it's the only one with old style pins.