Barrel Slug Diameters

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barrel Slug Diameters

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:REALLY Michael?
Yeap, that's what I measured. Haven't had time to measure the second rifle but I would be surprised if it were different.

I size my TLC359 to. 357". That is a standard, cataloged sizer.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Really interesting man. I just slugged my new M92 .357 this afternoon --- did it twice to make sure I was getting it right and it slugs at *exactly* .357.

Couldn't believe it, I went to the only local bait and tackle store that isn't all the way to town and the only selection of oblong sinkers they had were split. Didn't want to use a split one as I was afraid it might spring back after slugging so I dug out some lead balls I use for slugging with. I did buy a bag of the split ones just to test with and after getting the .357 diameter twice with lead balls I kind of "reshaped" the split sinker (collapsed it...) and put it through the barrel also. It too came back at exactly .357.

All measurements were taken with a Starret 0-1" Micrometer and not calipers.

"Tapatalk while hunting"..................you dog! Season starts next week here, can't WAIT!

Art
Ranch Dog wrote:
Tazman1602 wrote:REALLY Michael?
Yeap, that's what I measured. Haven't had time to measure the second rifle but I would be surprised if it were different.

I size my TLC359 to. 357". That is a standard, cataloged sizer.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

What do you use to drive the sinkers down the bore? I've seen some use a few dowels about 6-8" long each.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I get the sinker started by tapping directly on it. As it flattens across the muzzle, I take a jacked bullet that is under bore, like a 30 caliber bullet when slugging a 357 Mag, and tap on it until the "donut" breaks off the slug. From there, I push or tap it on through with a brass rod. I've picked a up number of different diameter brass rods at my local hardware store.
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Yeah I've used wood dowels before Jeff..................I've also broken them off while doing this and that is a problem. What I use now is a steel rod, cut about 6" longer than barrel length. I then make sure the end is chamfered and I put electrical tape wrapped around the rod about every 8" or so to keep it from touching the barrel.

I start the slug with a solid whack from a rawhide mallet, then use a brass rod about 6" long I"ve got to get it started in the barrel --- barrel gets a good soaking of WD40 before I begin now. Once slug is started down the barrel, then I take the steel rod with the electrical tape and drive it gently all the way out the breech.

When you do this make sure you get a rod close to bore diameter as that helps. Then you HAVE to use a micrometer to measure the slug when it comes out, calipers are not accurate enough. It's a great technique that's never failed ME, just go slow and take your time and make SURE you are using dead-soft lead as the slug..............size your cast bullets .001-.002 above bore size and I've never had to deal with any leading issues in either handgun or rifles.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks RD. I'll have to scrounge around and see what I can find.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Taz, I thought about steel but was worried about damage. The electrical tape sounds great.

I've had some leading in a 45-70 Marlin and 45LC 92 Puma. Not sure if it is bullet size or my LFCD technique. I need to slug 'em to narrow down the possible reasons.

Jeff
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Yes, steel can be bad...........only reason I use it is I can't find brass in 5/16" size (.312") for .38/357.

RD is right, if you can find brass, use it. The first time you slug something it scares heck out of you but the data is invaluable and can be somewhat surprising. I use the electrical tape just to keep it from scraping the insides out of my barrels.

I've also found that a good dose of lube of *some* kind helps to get the lead down through the barrel.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
---Theodore Roosevelt
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I'll only be slugging 45-70 and 45 Colt. I guess I could use 3/8" (.375)?

Finding brass rods to buy sounds expensive.

Jeff
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

Years ago Veral Smith said to use a light oil and a heavy hammer. That advice has always worked for me. I use a cold steel rod wrapped with elec tape every 6"-8" as a driver and invert a gas check between the sinker and the rod. I don't consider WD-40 an oil so use 3 in 1 or a patch soaked in ATF. Once the sinker is just inside the bore I have a 6" short rod i use to go that far then drive it through with a 30" rod. Just a few blows with a 4 lb hammer will send things down the bore without causing a jam. A 12 oz hammer can cause things to stick to the sides of the bbl creating a real mess. The gas check keeps the rod from being driven into the sinker. My set up cost $7-$8 and has done dozens of guns.