Gas check vs powder coating

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gas check vs powder coating

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:RD, do you find micro grooving to provide better gas seal on all cast design bullets, and would a hybrid micro rear grooves be helpful on conventional BP bullet?
It has worked for me. When I got into casting, I had one goal; I wanted to shoot cast bullets at jacketed bullet velocities or better while maintaining my accuracy and killing authority expectations (or I would stick with jacketed bullets). The first rifle I worked with was the 444 Marlin, a cartridge that can actually stretch the limits of cast bullet performance. I did not see any mold designs that actually fit the Marlin, so I designed my own (rather crudely compared to how I do it now). I decided to Micro Band it rather than arbitrarily use the traditional grooves. The bands, along with Alox, worked like a charm. Since that time, everything that I shoot uses the Micro Bands and Alox.

I have deviated from the Micro Bands twice, 30-30 Win and 38-55 Win designs, using a Lyman 4500 and various other lubes. The best lube I used was 2500+ but it still did not equal what I've seen from Alox. Hands down I prefer the Micro Bands and Alox. I dip most bullets rather than tumble, less mess, and never have I had a bullet not meet my original goal expectations (32 different bullet designs).
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Still learning,it is hard to believe what all goes on while the bullet is going down the bore; that was a good article that you added about the lube sealing the gas pressure. Will have to reread it several more times. Thanks
Ps you still need to write a book someday on your bullet thoughts
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Since we have been talking about lubrication on the bullet and how it creates the pressure seal as it goes down the bore, why do we always suggest a dry bore rather than a lubricated bore. I would think a wet patch run down the bore prior to firing would assist the pressure seal, but have seen no one do it and am wondering why not? would it cake in the grooves after firing? etc.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I was looking at a BP style hollow base design in rcbs 45-280. It has a minor hollow base. Couldn't that type of design help seal the bullet base with a hard alloy rather than soft lead in modern rifle loads?
jdb

Post by jdb »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Since we have been talking about lubrication on the bullet and how it creates the pressure seal as it goes down the bore, why do we always suggest a dry bore rather than a lubricated bore. I would think a wet patch run down the bore prior to firing would assist the pressure seal, but have seen no one do it and am wondering why not? would it cake in the grooves after firing? etc.
Actually Zippy, I carry my patches for my front stuffer, a 54 cal TC Renegade, in an old percussion cap tin. I fill that tin with a mixture of a couple drops of dish washing detergent per cup of water, then I put a stack patches in and let them soak it up and pore off any excess. Then let them set with the top off for a couple days to dry slightly They will stay slightly moist for a pretty good while when stored like that after you put the top back on.

Which, SLIGHTLY moist is ok, as long as you sight it in for that kind of patch with a consistent moisture content, with the charge you shoot. And if your gun gets gummed up, a little extra spit turns that patch into an effective wet cleaning patch. ;~)

But it makes them start and seat down the barrel easier and helps keep the bore cleaner in between shoots. So some of us do, but only with my front stuffer. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson