Hardness question for 30-30 GC boolit

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Hardness question for 30-30 GC boolit

Post by mr surveyor »

At over 2000 fps with lead, I believe I would work up very slow .... or down if needed .... until I hit the maximum in accuracy. Then adjust the scope the tiny bit needed to hit poa at 100-125 yds and be done with it. It just seems to me that something more in the 18-20 bhn would be required at that velocity to hold that bullet together though. Then again, I'm a self proclaimed rookie :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

Have you both been talking to the two voices in my head that can't decide which way to go? :lol:
Ranch Dog wrote:Nothing to lose but a little time cleaning a leaded bore, I'd push them on up!
This is probably what I'll do. Just needed a nudge.
mr surveyor wrote:At over 2000 fps with lead, I believe I would work up very slow .... or down if needed .... until I hit the maximum in accuracy. Then adjust the scope the tiny bit needed to hit poa at 100-125 yds and be done with it. It just seems to me that something more in the 18-20 bhn would be required at that velocity to hold that bullet together though. Then again, I'm a self proclaimed rookie :D

JD
I'm a rookie bullet caster too. According to most of the research I've done so far, this bullet should be leading the barrel something fierce and self destructing in flight. Neither has happened yet, so I'll proceed slowly toward 2350 fps and see how it goes. While it's not an absolute requirement to get the same POI with these and the jacketed bullets I load, it sure would be nice.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

That diameter out of the Lee mold is great. Like RD said, too many of the Lee molds in the past came out a bit small in diameter.

I haven't bought any reloading dies in quite a while but it seems like somewhere I read that Lee doesn't provide seating dies with the crimp feature in all models anymore. The OP must have a newer set.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

I ended up switching to LVR powder as it's more readily available and wanted to save the A2230 for my wife's new Ruger American .223. I worked up to 2320 fps, but the target looked like it was shot with 12 gauge 00 buckshot. I'll be working the load back down to where the groups look better. The good news is there was still no barrel leading and the bullets didn't appear to tumble. I wonder if the large group size was due to something bad happening to the bullet at that velocity, or the snappy recoil that made the rifle really jump when fired from a rest. Anyway, I'm pleased that the gas checked bullet could be pushed that hard and not leave lead in the barrel.