Muzzle Velocity for deer hunting

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Muzzle Velocity for deer hunting

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
HarryAlonzo wrote:No more than three rounds in the mag, or three rounds total? Are you required to put a stick in your Rossi mag, or is the restriction honor based?

Three rounds total and no we don't have to plug them. I'm sure some don't abide, but it's not worth it. You start by loosing your gun and hunting privalge,

Make smoke
Dept of wildlife does not play around, they come across you, and check your firearm, it best be within the law.
About ten years back, a county official drew an Elk tag down here in Kentucky.
If I remember correctly, it was a tag for an Antlered Bull elk, but he killed an antler less Elk.
He said the fog blocked his vision and he didnt have a clear shot.
Dept of wildlife said that statement makes you an incompetent hunter,(have to agree with them on that).
Dept of Wildlife took his guns, truck, billed him $10,000.00 for Elk replacement, then he went to court.
another guy shot a black bear that was rummaging through his trash, think he got at least one year in prison.
when I run into Elk on my property, or out grazing behind the cabin, I lock myself in my cabin, and make sure I have an alibi. +of
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:I don't shoot light for cartridge in anything, especially to build hunting rounds. 125 grains is 20% light.
That's why I load 180 gr cast.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: M v for deer hunting

Post by Archer »

ManxTom wrote:Just for the sake of education and entertainment for the US guys, we have specific laws that cover what you can and can't use on deer.

You cannot use a calibre less than .240

You cannot shoot deer with a rifle producing less than 2450 fps at the muzzle AND having a terminal velocity of less than 1750 ft lbs.

These requirements are law here. If you go on a paid deer stalk you will be taken to the 'zeroing range' first. Your ammo will be checked and, possibly, chronoed and you will be expected to put three shots into a 3" circle at 100m.
This is the minimum requirement.
Each state in the U.S. has specific laws that set the requirements in that state and there may be additional requirements for specific hunting areas withing the state. There are also federal reservations that may allow hunting and have additional requirements as well.

The terrain varies so much across the U.S. that what works in one area may not work somewhere else.

MANY of the common deer cartridges may not make the minimum muzzle velocity you list of 2450 FPS. Some may not hit your terminal velocity out of the muzzle. (Every commonly used straight walled cartridge I can think of from .357 Mag & 44 Mag through .444 Marlin & .45-70 Govt to the newer .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowulf plus the bottlenecked .30-30 Winchester don't hit the velocities mentioned but they sure will kill deer.)

Some areas limit firearms to shotguns. Some of those areas that have been shotgun only have in recent years changed the regulations to allow straight walled rifle rounds.

There are probably fewer paid hunts as a percentage and a lot more folks going out into the country on their own or with a friend or two during hunting season over here. Licenses and tags are required for most larger game like deer and can be state wide or limited to specific zoned areas. Accuracy and energy checks are very rare. Limitations on ammunition are not uncommon. The state of CA for example requires lead free hunting ammunition.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

ImageCFE Pistol powder under 158 grain cast lead powder coated bullets.
I like CFE Pistol - a lot.
It was my GOTO pistol powder before the lockdowns and everything disappeared.
380, 9mm, 38, 357, and 45 acp.

The last couple of years I've found good substitutes...
Accurate #5 for 45 ACP and 38 Special.
Still use H110 for full house 357 Magnum.
And saved my CFE for 9mm.

I can't speak to laws in other states.
Here in Texas I mostly shoot pig.
They are an epidemic.

Anyway, 158 grain 375 Magnum cast lead using CFE Pistol