Lyman stuck case remover

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Lyman stuck case remover

Post by Archer »

Never had a stuck case but I've come close a time or two and I know at least 4-5 folks who have stuck .308 over the years and one of them at least three times so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to lay in the removal gimmick before the problem cropped up as I've got plans to load a couple cases of 5.56 and maybe a case or two each of .308 & .30-06 in the near future.

Picked up one of the Lyman versions from Midway last week on sale. Had a gift cert and wanted to burn it before I forgot about it.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/stuck-case-remover
The Lyman kit includes a #7 drill bit, a 1/4-20 tap, a 1/4-20 cap head screw, a long arm Allen wrench, a threaded collar that acts as a drill bushing and fulcrum for the cap head screw and finally a tap knob*. Essentially the Lyman version includes all the required bits and doesn't assume you have your own tap set or a spare handle that happens to fit or require you to break out the Vise Grips as a substitute.

The 'Tap Knob' is essentially a single size square drive recess that is supposed to fit the square shaft on the 1/4-20 tap and when the Hex key is inserted sideways through the knob it acts as a tap handle to thread the stuck case.

For instructions, illustrations and part #s see:
https://www.lymanproducts.com/stuck-case-remover

Well, as it turns out on the one I got, the square hole in the tap knob is smaller than the tap shaft. It appears the final broach operation didn't happen OR the broach is so worn it doesn't bring the hole up to the required dimension OR the tap shaft is oversized for this application... And the Q/A guys didn't bother with a check fit.

Now I could file down the tap shaft to fit, BUT IF I file on the tap shaft I'll have to do the same on any replacement tap in the future. OR I MIGHT be able to file open the recess on the tap knob to accept the tap BUT that's potentially a lot of elbow grease work with one or two tiny needle files and likely to ruin them in the process if the tap knob is half as hard as I think it might be and I'm not board enough to waste a couple hours or more screwing around with it. So Let's see if it can be 'fixed' without a lot of effort on my part.

I called Lyman and they said 'We'd send you the part but we ain't got any in stock right now. Can you check with the supplier and see if they'll exchange it?'

Midway has them in stock still and says 'Fill out the online return form and send it in and we'll send you a new one and IF it really was defective we'll refund the exchange shipping...'
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Lyman stuck case remover

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ive never had a Midway exchange issue. Just sayin...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

It is rare that I need to send anything back. I grew up in the age of the Sears and Roebuck, JCPenny's, Service Merchandise and Montgomery Ward Catalogs when you tried to make one big order and you tried to make sure you didn't have to send things back to save on shipping charges.

I've had one issue with Midway and a defective item that I would have returned. It was an AR Stoner bolt carrier where Midway shipped it in a zip lock plastic bag that was then either in a bubble padded envelope or dropped in a larger box of random stuff and I failed to notice the gas key on it was damaged until I was using it for a build and it was sticking on the gas tube. Mostly my fault for not recognizing the damage when it showed up. I had it on the shelf for some time and Midway clarified/limited their warranty on that part in between when I bought it and when I discovered the defect. I had to get a new gas key and install it and stake it. I've switched over to mostly Fail Zero for BCGs on new builds and a few others that claim to have lifetime manufacturer's warranties and IF I pick up anything that's a Midway house brand I check it over with a fine toothed comb when it shows up. I try to inspect things as they show up regardless of what they are or who sold them. Although I saw the gas key on the carrier when it showed up I didn't recognize it as damaged until it was interfacing with the gas tube.

The three issues I probably have with Midway more often than not:
1) The top of the box may have up to three strips of tape on it and it's mostly secure. The bottom of the box usually has one strip of tape on it and it's darned near worn through when it shows up from being scooted around the back of trucks and the package handling conveyors at FedEx, USPS and UPS.

2) Advertised sale items are out of stock BEFORE the email featuring them is sent out. It's just about as bad as when they were putting out a monthly paper catalog only when you happen to be watching their email hit your mailbox and what's in it is already sold out on the website.

3) Putting something that comes in a storage box like a die set or screwdriver set or whatever in a large box with several boxes of bullets and one or two small packing airbags that allow the boxes of bullets to pummel the plastic storage box into flinders.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Delivered Saturday. I'll probably be able to check it out sometime Friday depending on when I can pick it up.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Replacement kit has the same problem.
Looks like I need to invest in a real tap handle.