I'm depressed....

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: I'm depressed....

Post by Archer »

I haven't bought any primers since just about that same time period. Back then the local chain shop was wanting about $35/K of them. They always seemed surprised when either I or my friend I taught about reloading wanted to buy a brick instead of a single 100 count.

I think my current Russian inventory includes a couple brass case boxes of 7.62x25, Maybe a couple hundred rounds of oddball corrosive surplus in the same caliber, a spam can of 7.62x54R I bought when I was considering a $100 Mosin but backed off of when they more than doubled in price overnight and maybe 30 rounds of 7.62x39 Tul-A left over from when I was using to break in an AK I put together.

I might have to see if I can lay in some reloading supplies for the 7.62x25 as I have a sneaking suspicion that's not going to be on anybody's priority list for importing from Fiocchi, S&B or PPU anytime soon. Then again I just don't shoot the CZ-52s that much.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I picked up a MEC Super 250 shotshell reloader at an estate sale last weekend for $15. Came with all 16 GA dies, a pound of powder and 3# of 7.5 shot. Do I have any shotshell primers? No! I have pre-Covid brass, bullets and dies for 348 Winchester, but no powder or primers. I have a mountain of brass to feed the Garand, but no powder or primers for that, either. I can load 44 all day long, and I guess I’ll have to find solace in that.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

EXCELLENT score!

I'm low on 6.5 bullets for the Grendel. Probably low on bullets for the .32 ACP, 7.62x25 and only moderate quantities of bullets for 7.62x39.

I don't have any 12g loading equipment.
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

ManxTom wrote: CCI primers are around $68.00 per 1000..
Actually, that sounds pretty reasonable, considering that CCI primers come from the US. I suspect that they have to be shipped air freight at a considerable hazardous material rate.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Going through my e-mail for today.
Xtreme bullets was apparently offering small rifle primers with their brand on them.
5000/$500 (doing the math that breaks down to $100/1000 BUT you had to buy the full 5 boxes at the time and I'm betting hazmat and shipping fees also apply.)

Mind you the email apparently was sent 7.5 hours ago and they are sold out of the primers UNLESS you wish to buy them with their 5.56 bullets for an additional $500-$540 in which case they currently list qty 5 OR qty 9 depending on the bullet grain weight.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

plaidad wrote:
ManxTom wrote:.... considerable hazardous material rate.
Herein is a crock of mixed species offal.

Boys, I was in the reloading biz. At our range, we loaded up about 1.5 MILLION rounds a year. Not much if you're Federal or Remington, but jeeze we were a four or five man operation. To be a bit more specific, we dug lead from the range, and re-cast it into a variety of bullets using a windmill molding machine, lubed/sized 'em, sorted range brass, and ran all that through either Star, AmmoCrafter or Dillon machines (from before Dillon went consumer grade). One of the operations was primer handling.

Along with our over the counter sales of primers, we got... oh... 15-20 CASES OF TEN THOUSAND primers each and every month. They came by UPS. Never an issue, never a problem, never anything but a large box of primers.

Then some mucky-muck in a white tower in Washington, DC decided that reloading was something that was bad, and they way to reduce that bad practice was to slap an effective tax on reloaders, by stipulating hazmat fees for common carriers. The carriers were all too keen to comply ($$$ cha-ching!).

Not one drop of lube was used in our collective forced copulation.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Last primers I bought outright was three years ago. 5K for $150 shipped and no hazmat on a promotion from one of the online retailers. Before that was $35 per 1K no tax at gun shows.

I have not sold and have no primers for sale.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.