Favorite Powders for .357 and .45 colt?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
plaidad

Favorite Powders for .357 and .45 colt?

Post by plaidad »

I'm currently loading 158 gr coated RNFP .357's and 250gr coated RNFP .45's with CFE Pistol. These are what I would classify as moderate to warm loads. Hodgdon data shows my .357 load as 1300 fps from a 10" barrel, and shows 1000 fps from a 7.25" barrel on the .45 Colt. Based on what I have seen about Hodgdon's data, I'm guessing that these loads in a 16" .357 and a 20" .45 Colt are going slightly faster (Hodgdon's velocity numbers seem to be somewhat inflated from what I have seen). I'm getting decent accuracy and case life. Since finding powder is a problem nowadays, I'm wondering what options are out there for similar performance. I'm not really interested in heavy loads - I have Lil Gun for those. What are you guys using?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Favorite Powders for .357 and .45 colt?

Post by mr surveyor »

I prefer the AA powders myself, although Alliant 2400 and Unique were what I got hooked on in the beginning of my long ( :) ) 11 year reloading stint. I use nothing but AA#9, or A2400 for my hotter .357 mag and .44 mag loads, and AA#7 or Unique for more toned down loads in the magnums. Probably 95% of what I shoot is cast bullets, some bevel base but mostly gas checked. Rare occasions I'll swing to jacketed bullets .... they most always get AA#9.

In the "bottom feeders" I use mostly AA#2 or AA#5 (again, mostly cast) in the .45 auto, and AA#5 or AA#7 in the 9mm loads (mostly cast)

Oddly enough, I rarely had problems getting the AA powders from my local shop, but all of the Alliant powders have been as scarce as fairy dust around here for the last year.

jd

oh, just wanted to add, I'm not a fan of pushing max loads myself, particularly to save wear and tear on my firearms
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

Thanks - I have been using AA#2 for.45acp. I love the way it meters. I have not shot a lot of the Lil Gun, just enough to see how it does. I'm not too worried about my 92's, but those loads are tough on brass.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Lil' Gun is about the best there is for .357 but still lean towards A2400...which is nearly impossible to find.

LOTS of powders work fine in .45 Colt but there are so many different intended uses for .45 Colt. Some people download .357 ... I do not. There's no point. But since .45 Colt started as a lower velocity round that also can be loaded up, you can use Bullseye, HP38, TiteGroup, Unique, HS6, A2400, IMR4227 ... or what I have been using W231.

Some people's go to for flatulent rodent loads is Trail Boss but I have ZERO use for half power gunpowder that costs more for 9 ounces than other real powders for a pound.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

With both of those I started out with H110 and heavy bullets, 180s in the 357 and 300 in the old Colt. I'm gradually switching over to Lil Gun as I find time to work up loads. These are mostly hunting loads for 20" lever guns. For just paper or pop cans I use 158s and 250s and CFE Pistol and have even been known to load a bit of Trail Boss.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

plaidad wrote:"....Hodgdon data shows my .357 load as 1300 fps from a 10" barrel, and shows 1000 fps from a 7.25" barrel on the .45 Colt...."

Since finding powder is a problem nowadays, I'm wondering what options are out there for similar performance. I'm not really interested in heavy loads - I have Lil Gun for those. What are you guys using?
I'd call those on the warmish side, personally.

My favs in the past have been H110 and 2400 for hotter 357 loads, but to tell the truth, I'd rather shoot lower velocity and stick with a faster burning powder. I used to use Unique, but you can't find that anywhere, nor 2400, and very rarely H110. I've got some H110 here, but can't get no primers, so what the heck.

The 45 Colt is very forgiving, where the 357 (for me at least) seemed a bit edgy when you got up there in pressures. I'm using good ol' 231/HP38 and just used up the last of my Titegroup. Both of those have worked well, but for loads you want to duplicate, probably 231 would be a better choice.

I'm using what I can find, and its slim pickens out there. Ain't seen a primer in a coons age (or donkey's years for you Brits).