Hornady 158 gr xtp

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Johnnyjr

Hornady 158 gr xtp

Post by Johnnyjr »

Anyone use these for deer instead of cast bullets. I have heard that they fragment if that's the correct term. Season is fast approaching..
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Hornady 158 gr xtp

Post by Reese-Mo »

Hornady lists both versions of the 158 XTP as suitable for hunting deer.

One is the "FP" version, which I am "assuming" is a flat point (vs hollow point). If you're pushing 'em hot n heavy, I'd choose the FP version if available. But that's just me.....
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

I was thinking the same thing. I was wanting to try the cast 180 grain bullets,but I got so many negative replies about it. Probably the longest shot I'll make is maybe 60/70 yards in the woods.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I DO wish Hornady had not turned XTP into a trade name for everything they manufacture.
I'm still of the opinion that they should have retained the XTP label for their hollow points and that their flat point expanding bullets shouldn't be stickered with that. I have noticed over the past few years that the uninitiated seem to be buying hollow points and that the flat point designs seem to be slowly disappearing as the lemming masses buy HPs for everything from plinking to large game.