Muzzle blast 44/44special

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Johnnyjr

Muzzle blast 44/44special

Post by Johnnyjr »

Ok. Tell if you have to identical loads. Shoot one in the revolver and one in the rifle. Which one is going to have more muzzle blast. Want to know for setting up my chronograph. Thanks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Muzzle blast 44/44special

Post by Archer »

In my rather limited experience, full power loads out of my Colt Kodiak 6" or my S&W 629 Classic Comp 6.5" have much more muzzle blast than my 94 Winchester 24" or either of my Rossi 92s with 20" or 24" barrels.
Same thing to perhaps a mite lesser extent with the 6" S&W 29 that is not ported or compensated.

That said, part of it may be subjective in that the muzzle of the rifles is generally 15-20 inches or more away from my noggin and there's no cylinder gap on the rifle either. Blast coming out of the cylinder gap not being something I can distinguish from the blast out of the muzzle or the blast out of the porting. I DO notice that the ports can increase the local noise level and I also note that shooting a ported gun under a tin roof is interesting.

Keep in mind, the flash and awe of the short barrel is at least partly any powder that isn't burned in the barrel flashing over as it exits. Meanwhile the exhaust gas out of the rifle is likely to be more completely combusted AND likely somewhat faster than out of the handgun.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Need to more exactly define "muzzle blast".
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Reese-Mo wrote:Need to more exactly define "muzzle blast".
And what chrono are you setting up?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

Prochrono LTD
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

"Non-warranty repair guarantee:Competition Electronics will not charge more than ½ the current retail price to repair any current model chronograph we manufacture regardless of its condition."

I find the above statement to be somewhat hilarious...

I assume you are looking at page 6 of the operating instructions?
Pistols & Rifles
The main consideration here is probably muzzle blast. Make sure you stand back
far enough from the chronograph to avoid the muzzle blast triggering the sensors
and introducing velocity errors.

• For pistols, the muzzle to chronograph distance should be 5 to 10 feet.

• For rifles, we recommend a muzzle to chronograph distance of 10 to 15 feet.

If muzzle blast is affecting your readings, move back to resolve the problem.
If you are using a scope, be sure to check the boreline-to-scope distance and raise
your aimpoint to accommodate this measurement, otherwise the projectile may
hit the chronograph.
I'd assume those distances to be minimums and that you might want to back the chrono off a mite for heavy boomers. I wouldn't think 15' to be unreasonable for handguns or 20-30 feet for rifles unless you are trying to get the velocity as absolutely close to the muzzle as possible. It simply shouldn't matter that much.

I recall 25 years ago or so shooting indoors at a range where a couple guys were running a chrono a couple lanes down from my party. Every shot I made they got a reading on the chrono even though I wasn't shooting anywhere near their unit. Those readings pretty much matched the 'book' values for the load I was running that day as well.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've put my Oehler 35P away, PITA on a public range to set up and all and now use either my MagnetoSpeed Spot or my Labradar. I cured my problems with the "radar" by using a kinetic trigger. The Sport is a PITA on lever guns and the Garand. It's a small enough package that it stays in the truck so I always have it with me.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I've put my Oehler 35P away, PITA on a public range to set up and all and now use either my MagnetoSpeed Spot or my Labradar. I cured my problems with the "radar" by using a kinetic trigger. The Sport is a PITA on lever guns and the Garand. It's a small enough package that it stays in the truck so I always have it with me.

Make smoke,

I caught this comment in review section for the magneto speed sport ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1st Chronograph
By Craig T Parker on February 4, 2019
I have wanted a chronograph for years but I haven't done much reloading in several years. I recently decided to load for the Marlin 336 in 30-30 so I got out My old Rock Chucker set and put together various loads. I put the question out here whether this unit could be used on a lever gun with a tubular magazine and I got a myriad of answers both yes and no!! I contacted the manufacturer and they said it could be used mounted on the side of the barrel rather than beneath. Well with some fiddling and several adjustments, it worked. I was able to chronograph several loads with a few hiccups. I'm going to load up some more ammo and go back at it again and I'm sure I can improve my results. It is really easy to use and very beneficial if you are shooting at a public range which would really hamper the use of a classic style chronograph. I will update this review after further use but after my first trial, I am impressed!!!
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.16.45 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Arroyoshark wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:I've put my Oehler 35P away, PITA on a public range to set up and all and now use either my MagnetoSpeed Spot or my Labradar. I cured my problems with the "radar" by using a kinetic trigger. The Sport is a PITA on lever guns and the Garand. It's a small enough package that it stays in the truck so I always have it with me.

Make smoke,

I caught this comment in review section for the magneto speed sport ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1st Chronograph
By Craig T Parker on February 4, 2019
I have wanted a chronograph for years but I haven't done much reloading in several years. I recently decided to load for the Marlin 336 in 30-30 so I got out My old Rock Chucker set and put together various loads. I put the question out here whether this unit could be used on a lever gun with a tubular magazine and I got a myriad of answers both yes and no!! I contacted the manufacturer and they said it could be used mounted on the side of the barrel rather than beneath. Well with some fiddling and several adjustments, it worked. I was able to chronograph several loads with a few hiccups. I'm going to load up some more ammo and go back at it again and I'm sure I can improve my results. It is really easy to use and very beneficial if you are shooting at a public range which would really hamper the use of a classic style chronograph. I will update this review after further use but after my first trial, I am impressed!!!
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.16.45 PM.jpg
This what I did with the levers, found it worked better with round barrels than it did with the octagonal. It does work that way, I did find it advisable to check it for tightness every couple of shots as gravity tends to want to torque it a bit.

Make smoke,