.38 Special last weekend

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

.38 Special last weekend

Post by Archer »

Loaded about 400 rounds last weekend.

Took a little while to get the Dillon 550 back into shape but once all the parts were in the right places it seemed to work pretty well. This is a machine I'd picked up used and it needed a little tightening up for a couple bits.
Loaded some plated 158s using Unique at max standard pressure loads.

Next go around should be quite a bit quicker.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: .38 Special last weekend

Post by Reese-Mo »

Progressive machines can be a little tricky at first. I used to use the Hornady progressive, but I'm space limit is right now, switch to the compact RCBS single stage.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've used a few progressives before, also used a 550 before but this particular machine had been dormant for quite some time before and after I got it.

I was considering upgrading it to the current standard but that would cost me a considerable amount and I'd have bought everything needed for a new machine except the ram, loading platform, priming system, powder measure, brass bin, some small parts and handle (and I've got a spare handle, spare bullet bin system and half a spare priming system but would NEED the bellcrank fail safe.) At more than 3/5ths the cost of new, with the parts that remain adding up to over 60 percent of the cost of new it seems like a 20% + depreciation premium to upgrade the old machine. I think I'd be better served just doing a maintenance overhaul and alignment as is and I could probably skip the alignment if I'm not going to do rifle rounds on the beast.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Picked up the alignment tool from Dillon years ago so that when I do maintenance on my 550"B" it goes back to work without any problems. They once offered to have me ship it back to them to do an "upgrade" to the "C" model. I don't know if I like idea since Mike passed away.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Gunny268 wrote:Picked up the alignment tool from Dillon years ago so that when I do maintenance on my 550"B" it goes back to work without any problems. They once offered to have me ship it back to them to do an "upgrade" to the "C" model. I don't know if I like idea since Mike passed away.
I had a friend who sent a machine or two back for upgrade over the years and was happy about it. I have considered it but haven't inquired as to what they are charging to do it.

They sell all the parts to do the upgrade.
Since my B doesn't even have the zirc fitting on the cam or the grease vents on the arms it looks to me like about $300 in parts vs. a new $475 C machine.

I've heard Mike intended for his son to take over but the son liked the Aero/Defense division thus the daughter got the reloading business. Word is since she took over there's an aftermarket for polishing the insides of the powder funnels and heat treating them, not to mention at least three companies that I've seen selling aftermarket funnels. A friend of mine has replaced 4 of the aluminum handles on his primer pocket swager. My swager that I bought about 25 years ago came with a steel handle.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

just put a drip of oil in the gaps occasionally.
I have the nuthin frame and the hole in the frame frame on all 4 of my 550's and on the 650.
a drip or two of G-96 from time to time keeps them all rolling along as good as or better than a grease zerk.