Hone out Lee Classic die

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Blind Hawg

Hone out Lee Classic die

Post by Blind Hawg »

How feasible to open up the bore of a Lee Classic bullet sizing die from .430 to.434” with a crocus cloth wrapped dowel?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Hone out Lee Classic die

Post by Archer »

Not sure if crocus cloth will do the trick but I am sure it will take some time and effort.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

it's doable, but I'd stop short and finish the job by polishing up/out the last thousandth or so.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Seems like I've seen some, depending on the crocus cloth, of the finer versions has about the same grit as automotive paint polishing compound, NOT so raw as buffing compound but polishing compound.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Received my .430” Lee sizing kit from MidwayUSA. Note, never use their standard shipping. It’s UPS Mail Innovations. That’s the worst of UPS & USPS. To top it off, the bullet punch was missing. Replacement arrived in 2 days by UPS ground. Successfully opened the die up to .434” in short time with dowel and wet sandpaper in drill press. Finish polished with 600 grit. Sized 230 gr bullets cast in NOE .434” mold which cast at .436”. Lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, BTW, also some plastic coated. Loaded all over 12 grains of Unique for testing.
Any thoughts on Unique powder amounts for best accuracy in a 24” R92”
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Interesting, and I'm all into "modify to suit your needs".... but I have a question, if I may.

The Lee sizing die is 7/8-14 thread. You chucked that up in your drill press? Must be a BIG drill press!

Of course you could have spun the abrasive on a stick in the drill press, but then runout (aka staying round) goes out the window. Well for a pistol round it doesn't matter much anyway.

I didn't see where you said (maybe I missed it), but is this for a Rossi CJudge?
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Dowel spun in drill press but die body was spun too. IMHO, the 24” R92’s bore would remove any “out of roundness” by the time the slug “runs-out” the muzzle.