.44 mag Unique load

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: .44 mag Unique load

Post by Archer »

One range I've belonged to for 23 years or so requires you to bring your own targets and supports.
I used to take a couple 2x2 stakes around 6-8 feet long and a chunk of cardboard about 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall. Targets would be a paper plates with a sticky dot or target paster in the center.

I had a friend who was shooting with me once and suddenly the burm would start showing hits.
He claimed he couldn't see where he was hitting (at no more than 10 yards with a .45 ACP) on the target (or the pristine cardboard backing) and so he was shooting at the dirt to see where it jumped. I found the same fellow was useless calling shots with a spotting scope at 100 and 200 yards. He couldn't apparently focus the scope to see the 30 caliber holes in the paper plates and was calling hits a foot of the target where there simply wasn't any impact. Now I realize some people just can't see too well... but I could pick out some of the holes I was getting out of my rifle scope at less than half the power of the spotting scope and I KNEW I was hitting the target at 100 yards from that. As for the handgun shots, I'd have expected to get at least a few hits on a 9-10" plate at 10 yards even if I wasn't using the sights.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

maybe he should try closing his eyes.

I went shooting with a group from work and they were shooting hand guns at like 12-15 feet.
they asked why I wasn't shooting and I told them why bother when I could hit the target [18"W by 2' T] all 6 times with my eyes closed.
made myself 100 bucks that day.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My former boss tells me he wants to get a new handgun about a decade ago.
So I suggest going to the range, I'll bring a selection and let him try a few different kinds of things in different calibers and see what he likes. He says sounds like a plan he'll buy the ammo.

I show up with a selection including among others: Kimber 1911, CZ-97, Browning High Power, CZ-75, Springfield XD-45, Beretta 92, Para Ord P14-45, Springfield Champion and Kimber CDP Ultra.

He proceeds to shoot the paster on one target dead center with the Kimber 5" target model. (10-15 yards)
He also hit the other paster on the edge knocking it clean off the plate using the CZ-97.

Later that day he ordered the CZ-97 as his second choice, the Kimer being unobtainium at that time.
A year or two later he got a Kimber CDP Pro Carry.
About 4 years ago he got a Browning Buckmark Camper.

Sadly he's moved out of the area and I doubt I'll be getting together with him in the future.

---
Got another friend who managed to outshoot a couple newbs with their latest greatest new equipment using his old wheel gun winning $100. Seems they didn't believe it the first time for $50 so he agreed to double or nothing.
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

Archer wrote:low would be my guess as you aren't going to have as much recoil making the gun rise but it IS a guess.

depending on how big your paper was I'd have thought you'd have been close enough for 50 yards.
Sounds like my Henry 44 mag at 29 yards..but the same bullet in the 44 special is accurate as hell at the say distance with 2400..????
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Johnnyjr wrote:
Archer wrote:low would be my guess as you aren't going to have as much recoil making the gun rise but it IS a guess.

depending on how big your paper was I'd have thought you'd have been close enough for 50 yards.
Sounds like my Henry 44 mag at 29 yards..but the same bullet in the 44 special is accurate as hell at the say distance with 2400..????

I believe you'll find that case volume, considering equal powder charges in both 44 mag brass and 44 spl brass, will make a noticeable difference.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!