How hot?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: How hot?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I don't recall where right now but I read something in the last year or so that by the time you see flattened primers you're already too hot.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: How hot?

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I don't recall where right now but I read something in the last year or so that by the time you see flattened primers you're already too hot.

Make smoke,
ONE of the reasons for following the recipes and LOOKING for pressure signs is that very thing...
Many of the pressure signs are not consistent indication that you are approaching a problem situation but that you may already be IN a problem situation. There is also some non-linear behavior. LEE's first edition manual mentions specifically that as large charges of magnum powder continue upward from possibly showing pressure signs there might be a phase where more powder does not show increased pressure through a certain amount and then suddenly shows an unsafe jump.

Flattened primers can be a subjective evaluation.
Loosened primer pockets can be something you see with soft brass or with a Semi-auto instead of an over pressure situation.