Loading for Rossi/puma 92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
bluestringer

Loading for Rossi/puma 92

Post by bluestringer »

I just bought this used Rossi/Puma 92 in 45 Colt. I have orderd dies to start reloading for it. From what I've reading the 92 action is pretty strong, but my manuals show mostly light loads for pistols and some heavier loads for Ruger and Contender. I want to load light loads for plinking and for my grandsons, but also want some heavier loads also. I'll be using bullets weights from 200 to 255 mostly. Are heavy loads recommended for these rifles?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Loading for Rossi/puma 92

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have a 20" octagonal barrel '92 that I load anywhere from 180 grain to 325 grain mostly cast bullets and for hunting loads I'll go up in the upper half of the Ruger/Contender range with proviso that I worked up there carefully and believe me that's not the loads you want for casual plinking unless you hate your shoulder. I liked the 180s and trail boss for light making noise and bouncing cans around, but the company that was casting them has gone under.

The big Colt was my second lever gun after a 75 vintage Marlin in 35 Remington and I found it just plain fun to work with. Enjoy yours.

Sty well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

I found a similar problem when I started loading .45LC, a lot of the loads were hunting loads, far too much for paper punching at 25yds.
I use 255 gn lead with 5 to 7 gns of Ramshot (I think they're "Western" powders in the US?) Zip or True Blue.
They give a comfortable shove (as you'd expect from 255gn bullets!), but nothing too bad for my old shoulder..
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

My most commonly used .45 Colt loading is neither a "cat sneeze" round nor a shoulder busting hunting load. I used this load interchangeably between a Ruger Blackhawk and a 16" Rossi Trapper in .45.

Projectile - 255 gr. Commercial hard cast SWC, sized .452
Powder - Ramshot True Blue, 10.0 grains
My Chronograph - 996 fps, avg from 4-5/8" Blackhawk

Cases and chambers do not become overly sooty.

Disclosure - This loading is just slightly higher than standard pressure data shown in Accurate/Western Arms handbook for standard pressure .45 Colt loading, but far below the 30,000 psi data for heavy hunting loads. I have loaded as much as 12.0 grains, but that load is less comfortable in handgun for general purpose range work. Higher velocity is achieved in Carbines. From carbine, this load hammers 100 yard steel gongs with proclivity with no "holdover".

I the future I might like to try similar loading using Ramshot Silhouette. It is claimed to have similar burn characteristic as True Blue but with less muzzle flash. Both powders are fairly fine ball powders and meter like a dream, being less "cloggy" in thrower than Accurate No. 5.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I have a Silhouette recipe for 44 Spl that yields 900 FPS with a 240 gr bullet. Not sooty at all at that level. Not very good case fill, though.
bluestringer

Post by bluestringer »

Update: I recently acquired a 4 lb. can of Unique powder. I have used Unique in the past in other calibers. I have worked up a load with 250gr. RNFP cast lead and 8.0 grs. Unique. It's a sweet load for the Rossi 92. And I just purchased a US Firearms SAA in 45 Colt as a companion to the Rossi. The load works great for both.
bluestringer

Post by bluestringer »

I also have some 255 gr. Keith style wadcutters on the way. Not sure if they are going to feed ok in the Rossi, but if not they will be good for the revolver.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

bluestringer wrote:Update: I recently acquired a 4 lb. can of Unique powder. I have used Unique in the past in other calibers. I have worked up a load with 250gr. RNFP cast lead and 8.0 grs. Unique. It's a sweet load for the Rossi 92. And I just purchased a US Firearms SAA in 45 Colt as a companion to the Rossi. The load works great for both.
That sounds like a pretty standard .45 Colt load that would be ok for most .45 Colt firearms.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

bluestringer wrote:I also have some 255 gr. Keith style wadcutters on the way. Not sure if they are going to feed ok in the Rossi, but if not they will be good for the revolver.

Don't know how they'll do in your Puma but my Rossi Colt handles SWC bullets without problems.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
bluestringer wrote:I also have some 255 gr. Keith style wadcutters on the way. Not sure if they are going to feed ok in the Rossi, but if not they will be good for the revolver.

Don't know how they'll do in your Puma but my Rossi Colt handles SWC bullets without problems.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke
255 SWC feed just fine through my R92.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith