Loading for Rossi/puma 92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Loading for Rossi/puma 92

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Arroyoshark wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:
bluestringer wrote:I also have some 255 gr. Keith style wadcutters on the way. Not sure if they are going to feed ok in the Rossi, but if not they will be good for the revolver.

Don't know how they'll do in your Puma but my Rossi Colt handles SWC bullets without problems.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke
255 SWC feed just fine through my R92.
Yep, mine never read that message that said lever guns wouldn't feed SWC bullets :P
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

That does lead to nother question... I noticed in Arroyosharks post he mentioned his bullets were sized to .452.
I've been using .454 commercial hardcast 255gn bullets.

I thought 45lc were .454...?? and .452 was for .45 ACP..??
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I recall that old Colt single action .45's had bore/cyl. throat issues requiring bullets sized as large as .454. Predominately, modern firearms in .45 Colt are designed to handle .452 sized bullets. That certainly has been the case with a Ruger Blackhawk and Rossi R92 in .45 Colt.

Archer should be along soon to present the whole in depth analysis of this, but this is my recollection.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Arroyoshark is correct.
There are a number of reasons behind the diameter and changes to it but the initial historic bullet size was ~.454" up until post WWII where the .454 diameter was changed to .451"-.452".
LOTS of equipment left over for .45 ACP manufacture still viable after the war wound down. Why bother investing in putting together new .454 equipment for a rather limited demand product?

It may not matter too much for mild .45 Colt loads and soft lead bullets but when using hard cast and heavy loads it would be quite wise to slug the bore if you are in doubt.

There's always the chance that foreign production or worn manufacturing equipment or worn firearms may not check out to what you expect it to be and that's especially true when dealing with calibers that have changed over the years.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As another note on the subject, it's possible that some guns may have be built with a bad mix of characteristics. That is to say for example that in some revolvers throats may have been tight and sized the bullets as they passed through them leaving them undersized for the bore. Not an effect that enhances accuracy. I've seen articles that diagnose something similar with rifles where the barrel may be constricted at the receiver threads or where the rear sight dovetail cut is or other features like barrel bands. Checking for this kind of problem is a bit more involved than simple slugging the barrel and is often not necessary.
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

ok, when I've finshed my current box of .454's I'll try some .452's...