450 Bushmaster

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

450 Bushmaster

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Anybody here play with this. I have found some loading data and was pleased to find notes that said Lil'Gun performed well. Not a lot of cast info so far 2 bullets in the Lyman 50.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 450 Bushmaster

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Last Sunday at the gun show I found a upper in 450 Bushmaster that was in my price range and picked up a 4 power scope to go with it. Pulled the AR410 0ff my DPMS lower and go the scope mounted and laser bore sighted. Took it to the range yesterday and got it corrected to 25 yards and ran through a box of Hornady 245 grain soft points. Once I had it hitting were I wanted it holds 3 round in an inch shooting of my range bag. My Lee die set and a bag of Hornady brass are due to arrive today, So the adventure begins. Not sure what the combo weighs but the recoil wasn't what I expected. I did find that being left handed I have to be careful where my trigger hand is in relation to the selector. More later, outdoor ranges are open.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

What I've heard is that over all the 450 tends to be pretty good.
Magazines seem to be the weak point.
As long as you are sticking to 4 rounds or less and going with a dedicated large caliber follower seem to clear up most magazine problems.

I went with the 50 Beowulf instead.
I've got one built and a second upper that I'm working on putting together a lower and a few upper modifications on eventually.

Recoil with the Beowulf is not nearly as bad as several of my friends have claimed.

I have 500 Beowulf cases ready to load.
I had 550 Hornady 350 grain XTP mag bullets and 50 Sierra 400 grain FN bullets on order from Palmetto State but they completely flaked on me late last year. They cancelled the Sierra's after a month when they couldn't find the box they let me order and gave me a refund. They had sent me 11 Hornady powder tricklers instead of the Hornady bullets. When I brought this to their attention they sent me a return label and promised to get the bullets out once the tricklers were returned. Three months later when I called for a status report they said: 'We got the tricklers and I show that we owe you the bullets but we haven't got them on order and have no idea if we are ever going to order those ever again so do you want a refund?'

Needless to say PSA isn't exactly on the top of my supplier list right now.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Had a good day with the Bushmaster today. Ran a half box of Hornady Black through it. A ragged hole about an inch and a half wide and 3/4 inch tall for ten round at 50 yards. It seems to like the ammo. I've got the stuff I need to start loading and tomorrow is supposed to be cold and wet so we'll see.

Make smoke,