92 .44 with N110 and Magtech 240

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Colli

92 .44 with N110 and Magtech 240

Post by Colli »

Hello

Wasn't exactly shure where to post, and what... Because the winter here is kind of nonrange season, for my situation anyway with my none full limbcount and all, i have been reloading. I bought Lee's anniversary set, because i was stupid enough to det rid of my RCBS set at a time. Scale is crap, with N110 powder the cheap powder measure is crap, otherwise usable set. Got a jewelery scale and i zero it with every shell and check every load. The Lee measure gave everything between 17,4gr - 21,6gr when 20.8 was asked. Nice. Ordered a Brass Master... Now it's easier to achieve a decent load. Made a bunch with 21gr also. Bullets here in Finland are very hard to find and cost a sh... bucketload of euros, and the range of choices are close to one. I envy you guys, you can choose from so many variations and prices are very reasonable :/ I think that here the cost of powder, primers and bullets makes it cheaper to buy them ready. Well, only got a chance to test 10 shots and weather was horrible, but in nice group in 50 meters. Hi-Lux scope was mounted with NOE's mount by local Gunsmith Löppönen. Works nice.
Springset was also assembled, by me, and some polishing job too. Nice! Spring is also rushing, so rangetime, i hope, is also coming :) This was maybe just a nonsense but just wanted to write it somewhere.
Thank You
See you
Colli
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 92 .44 with N110 and Magtech 240

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Sounds to me like you should be casting your own bullets! It would keep you warm in the winter. 240 grain semi-wadcutters are perfect for punching holes in paper.

I can shoot all winter, unless it’s too windy or rainy. I have to stop in the Summer when the Forrest Service decides the fire danger is too high.
Colli

Post by Colli »

Hi

Yes, casting my own has been turning in my mind. Let's see what next winter brings...
Oh, and forgot, powder i use is Vihtavuori and bullets Semi jacketed flat points. The powder also suggests to cast bullets, easier powder and not so hard to the old girl.

Colli
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, I split my time between semi-jacketed flat points and SWC, both in 240 grain. I like powder coated for the lead. Alliant 2400 for better case fill.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Lee kit is a decent starter pack.
A friend of mine started with it and he transitioned to a Lee Loadmaster and then a Dillon 550.
He sold the Loadmaster with the Lee powder measure and scale and kept the single stage from the kit and the Dillon and has also acquired a Lee turret and a RCBS Rock Chucker II. He is using a Redding 3 powder measure when he isn't using the Dillon. He transitioned to a Redding scale. I've had another couple friends get started with the Lee kit. It is pretty basic but it can work.

There's a trick to the Lee powder measure with fine grain powder. It's listed on the net somewhere. The first time my friend tried to use H110 in it you could call it a major fail. It metered ok but the Lee got powder in between the cylinder and the bore and dribbled it all over. The Lee scale works but it is very sensitive to ANY air currents, static electricity and you MUST be super careful not to jiggle the weights.

I usually like 2400 for my .44 loads. Most of mine are jacketed SP or HP or plated FRN or TC.
I'll be putting out a hundred or two .44 SP level loads with some cast SWC and some Unique.