New to reloading .38Special and .357Mag

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Marksman75

Re: New to reloading .38Special and .357Mag

Post by Marksman75 »

Sorry I hope not to sound stupid as this is my first time with straight neck cases, all of my previous reloading was for .308, .223 and .260. When you say "I have to bell the case mouth a little more" what does that mean exactly?

The cases I just reloaded were prepared by a friend and I have to admit seating them was awkward but I did not see anything different about the case mouth. If I can "Bell" them out a little that would definitely help with seating them.

I picked up a 3 Die RCBS set of dies second hand with 3 different seaters for the seater die. Also included was a LEE Factory Crimp die which I used to crimp them a little after seating them with the seating die. I should also add I have more .38 Special cases than .357 at the moment and I noticed the .357 seating Die wasn't crimping the .38 stuff like it was the .357 so thought using the Lee crimp die was for the .38 and used it on them.

So I am assuming one of the RCBS dies will "Bell" the mouth a little making it easier to reload with? The Hard Cast Bullets I bought are all flat base so yeah it really wasn't easy seating them and was thinking there must be an easier way.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I've always called it flaring but belling works to. I'm unsure of technical details. I think it helps to seat certain bullets in the cases especially big bullets.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Marksman75

Post by Marksman75 »

Yep definitely, I took the primer pin out of the die temporary as I had already put new primers into the cases, I ran them through the die and put a very slight flare on the case necks and they seated very very easily. After I was done I ran them through the LEE Factory Crimp Die and they look fantastic. Tomorrow will tell as I am off to the range in the morning :)

Once again thank you everyone, so glad I found these forums :)
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Lee uses a "powder-through expanding die" to flare or bell the mouth on straight wall cases.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Off Topic
When you say "I have to bell the case mouth a little more" what does that mean exactly?
It would be very difficult to push a .357" slug into a .354"-.355" tube without making an "entry way" in the tube. Flaring (aka "belling") puts a taper "entry way" in the case mouth and for the most part eliminates case crushing and lead bullet shaving. The flare is larger at the mouth than the base of the bullet and the amount is somewhat personal. I say use as much flare now, as needed to get good shootable ammo now, and worry about case life later, and the the "limit" for a flare is the seating die. A very large flare may scrape the ID of the seating die or may stop the case from entering the die. The flare is removed (deflared) in the crimping die...

When someone suggests "...bell the case a little more", they are suggesting making the entry way in the case mouth larger so the bullet enters the case easier, with no shaving...

I can't remember about my 38/357 dies, but my 45 Colt dies by RCBS does have a dedicated "flaring die". Some use Lyman's "M" die to slightly expand a section of the case at the mouth and add a fit of flare. Very good die. My Lee dies have a "powder through" die that is designed to flare and provide a funnel for powder charging simultaneously.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Al of my RCBS 3 die pistol set have a sizer/decap die, a dedicated expander and a seater with one or more stems.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Marksman75

Post by Marksman75 »

Okay, thanks got it working fine now, this last 50 I reloaded were so much easier now that I flared the case. I actually am just back from the range having shot a bit to run the new Rifle in, great fun, I am absolutely in love with my new Rossi 92.

Going to get the spring and metal follower kit and work on polishing everything that needs to be done to make life even better:)

Cannot wait to get back out there with her!

Cannot thank everyone enough for the help I have been given here, you have all contributed to making me a very happy shooter :)
mikld

Post by mikld »

Yep, one of my "keep forever" favorite guns is my Puma/Rossi 92. Mine is in 44 Mag. and I have no idea how many rounds have bee shot through it since '95. I had to put a Williams receiver sight and taller front sight because my 62 year old eyes don't see sights very good anymore (that was 10 years ago and I'm still shooting her)...
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Marksman75,

One more thing you asked about earlier that I don't see addressed yet is the 357 mag dies not crimping the 38 special cases. You may know this, but you have to set the dies up differently for 357 mag vs. 38 special. I'd have to read my instructions again, but for 38 special you turn the dies in almost 2 turns more to reach the shorter case mouth.

I usually put an empty case in the shell holder and run it up all the way without a seating die in the press. Then I put the seating die in and turn it down until I can just feel it bottom out on the shell. I lower the press ram down, turn the die in about 1/8 turn further down, and lock it down. Then I adjust as need for the first few round loaded until everything looks right.

Of course the bullet depth has to be adjusted every time you adjust the die position for crimp as well.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Iplayfarmer wrote:Marksman75,

One more thing you asked about earlier that I don't see addressed yet is the 357 mag dies not crimping the 38 special cases. You may know this, but you have to set the dies up differently for 357 mag vs. 38 special. I'd have to read my instructions again, but for 38 special you turn the dies in almost 2 turns more to reach the shorter case mouth.

I usually put an empty case in the shell holder and run it up all the way without a seating die in the press. Then I put the seating die in and turn it down until I can just feel it bottom out on the shell. I lower the press ram down, turn the die in about 1/8 turn further down, and lock it down. Then I adjust as need for the first few round loaded until everything looks right.

Of course the bullet depth has to be adjusted every time you adjust the die position for crimp as well.
Yep, when I first started reloading I counted "turns beyond touching" for my crimp when I recorded the load, so I could duplicate the ammo next time...