Winchester brass worth the premium?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Winchester brass worth the premium?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I need to pick up some more 38-55 brass and I can get either Starline @ $46/100 or Winchester @ $41/50. Two different sources which could account for some of the premium, but not all of it. Back when I had to make 40-65 brass I tried to use Winchester cases as much as possible and never had any complaints. I guess I have to question the premium price so just wondering about other folks experience maybe comparing SL and WW brass in the same caliber.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Winchester brass worth the premium?

Post by Trailboss »

Ohio,

I've been reloading my 38-55 using resized 30-30 brass, mixed stamps. I get good accuracy, function from this method and I don't mind loosing the fired brass when shooting in the snow.
Aim small, miss small.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
If we need brass we get Starline. Buy a box. Free shipping. Sell what you do not need. Or load it all once you have that sweet spot load. Always nice to have too many on hand.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a Win guy over the Starline. I do use the Long SL 38-55 brass with my 375 Win, that is the remaining cartridge that I use SL with. I do have to chuck it after the third shot as the necks split.

I buy almost all my brass from Grafs because of the fixed shipping and typically the best prices I've found. Over my lifetime, they have saved me a fortune. Standard length SL is 50¢/case, Long SL and Win is 60¢/case.

Grafs 38-55 Win Brass
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Trailboss wrote:Ohio,

I've been reloading my 38-55 using resized 30-30 brass, mixed stamps. I get good accuracy, function from this method and I don't mind loosing the fired brass when shooting in the snow.
Do you do it all with the dies or do you load 30/30 and blow it out in the rifle. I have a bit of experience forming 30/30 to 357 Herret wonder if the step to 38-55 takes more than one form die.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm a Win guy over the Starline. I do use the Long SL 38-55 brass with my 375 Win, that is the remaining cartridge that I use SL with. I do have to chuck it after the third shot as the necks split.

I buy almost all my brass from Grafs because of the fixed shipping and typically the best prices I've found. Over my lifetime, they have saved me a fortune. Standard length SL is 50¢/case, Long SL and Win is 60¢/case.

Grafs 38-55 Win Brass

Ordered 100 WW from Graf. Thanks for the tip Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
Trailboss wrote:Ohio,

Do you do it all with the dies or do you load 30/30 and blow it out in the rifle. I have a bit of experience forming 30/30 to 357 Herret wonder if the step to 38-55 takes more than one form die.

Make smoke,
I've had excellent results just resizing the 30-30 using the 38-55 dies. Before I adopted this method I tried blowing out 30-30 but had too many split cases. Just resizing directly to 38-55 I have very few splits.
Aim small, miss small.