Indoor Plinking Loads for .38...

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
ronedee

Indoor Plinking Loads for .38...

Post by ronedee »

Hi All, newb here....I have a question about loading indoor (25yrds) light plinking loads for my 92?

I have a Dillon Sq. Deal and have loaded handgun ammo for many years, but never any rifle ammo. I have a ton of .38 brass, 160gr swc lead (also JHP 125gr.) bullets, & Bullseye powder. I'm looking to use these components to get some light, fun & accurate indoors shooting for the winter months here in N.E.! Any suggestions on this combo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and glad to be aboard RR! Ron
mikld

Re: Indoor Plinking Loads for .38...

Post by mikld »

When I got my Puma in 44 Magnum, I figgered the gun was designed for a hand gun caliber so I used hand gun loads. No regrets. I would use the same loads, at least to start with, as used in my revolver rounds. For a few loads I have gone up near max 44 hand gun loads but actually see no need (a 265 gr. LRNFP running 1,000 fps will get the job done for any shooting/hunting I will ever do).

I don't give load data in forums because my Rule #1 is I pay very little (no) attention to any load data I see on a forum or I hear from any range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads web site, or gun shop guru. I get 98% of my load data from published manuals with some from powder manufacturer's web sites. I also recommend this to any new reloader that will listen. I have been reloading, off and on, since 1969 and I ave had one squib (1970) and no kabooms...

I have found a good load for my 38 Specials; a 125 gr. Lee RNFP over a mid load of Universal. I also used some W231 with this bullet to get about 780 fps out of my 2" 38...
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

Thanks for your insights on reloading. I was hoping to find someone here that is a little better than a "range rat". I do know the reloading basics, as I have been loading for several years. So, I would probably know "bad" advice when I hear it. I have a few reloading sources, but they usually keep the MV up. And with good reason.

All that said... I wanted to keep my "experimentation" down by getting some advice. I have a few ideas about the loads. I just want to confirm them before I whip-up a batch for the range. Thanks again, Ron
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

ronedee wrote:. . . I was hoping to find someone here that is a little better than a "range rat". . .
I will try hard not be be offended . . .
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

it would help if you shared your idea's.
we can talk about 3-4-5-6 grains of bulls-eye all we want but it's your rifle and range time.
if your just standing at 25 yards and want to go ponk and see a hole appear,, 3grains is more than enough to reach the paper with a couple of notches raised on the rear sight.
if your rifle has a slow twist rate then your gonna need a little more speed to stabilize the bullets.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The best loads come from the internet. Just because my Dad and others wrote software that somehow got a man on the moon in '69 with giant reel to reel computers doesn't mean we can't do it better now. Elmer Kieth experimented like the rest of us and no one heard of him the first time he told someone how to load .44.

I'm no fan of loading way under-weight bullets such a 125gr .38S or .357Magnum but if your rifle is a Rossi with ~ 1:30 twist AND you are shooting extremely short distances, 125gr might be what you're looking for...especially with what I'd call a medium caliber pistol powder.

This proud but stupid internet guy says try somewhere around 4.5-5.0 gr Bullseye with the 125 gr bullet at 1.500" OAL so it'll cycle well.
  • range rat - There are no ranges anywhere near here
  • gun counter clerk - Never worked in a gun store but that alone wouldn't mean I have no idea what I'm doing
  • pet loads web site - Just as good a source or even better than a book if the end user has a brain
  • gun shop guru - Wondering what the difference is in this guy and the "gun counter clerk" and why being employed at a gun store is a bad mark on someone's reloading report card.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

HarryAlonzo wrote:
ronedee wrote:. . . I was hoping to find someone here that is a little better than a "range rat". . .
I will try hard not be be offended . . .

I was replying to the first responder of my question. He used the words "range rat". And disparaged a few others too. Not what I expected to find here. Sorry if you thought I, somehow was agreeing with him? Ron
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

runfiverun wrote:it would help if you shared your idea's.
we can talk about 3-4-5-6 grains of bulls-eye all we want but it's your rifle and range time.
if your just standing at 25 yards and want to go ponk and see a hole appear,, 3grains is more than enough to reach the paper with a couple of notches raised on the rear sight.
if your rifle has a slow twist rate then your gonna need a little more speed to stabilize the bullets.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what is not understood about; "Plinking at an indoor range, for fun & accuracy"? I also stated I have a 92 in .38/357. Which I thought was common knowledge HERE, that it's a 1:30 twist? This is a Rossi sight?

I already know: light lead, w/ lighter loads, for better accuracy. BUT.... I already have 3000rds of heavy lead and 8lbs of Bullseye! Thus the reason for my question in the first place.

So, w/o any experience loading for the Rossi, I'll assume (seeing no one has anything to offer about this subject) ..... 3.5 - 4.5grs. of my powder, under my heavy swc. I'll just experiment. Ron
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

GasGuzzler wrote:The best loads come from the internet. Just because my Dad and others wrote software that somehow got a man on the moon in '69 with giant reel to reel computers doesn't mean we can't do it better now. Elmer Kieth experimented like the rest of us and no one heard of him the first time he told someone how to load .44.

I'm no fan of loading way under-weight bullets such a 125gr .38S or .357Magnum but if your rifle is a Rossi with ~ 1:30 twist AND you are shooting extremely short distances, 125gr might be what you're looking for...especially with what I'd call a medium caliber pistol powder.

This proud but stupid internet guy says try somewhere around 4.5-5.0 gr Bullseye with the 125 gr bullet at 1.500" OAL so it'll cycle well.
  • range rat - There are no ranges anywhere near here
  • gun counter clerk - Never worked in a gun store but that alone wouldn't mean I have no idea what I'm doing
  • pet loads web site - Just as good a source or even better than a book if the end user has a brain
  • gun shop guru - Wondering what the difference is in this guy and the "gun counter clerk" and why being employed at a gun store is a bad mark on someone's reloading report card.

Hi, Let me first apologize for the first responder to my question. I was pretty miffed about the references. Not what I expected as a newcomer.

Thanks for your input. I want to stay under 1000fps. indoors. I'm going to experiment w/ the combination I have on hand. Headed to the range now w/ 100 rounds. I'll report my results! Ron
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

With Rossi's 1 in 30 twist I suspect that 1000 fps will be right on the edge of stability but will maybe work out to 25 yards. It wont be one hole accuracy regardless.

And by the way Sierra's new 6th edition says 4.7 grain of BE will give you 1k fps and 4.8 is a maximum load of BE. That's with their 125 JSP and a 5.6" barrel. They don't list loads for the 38 Spl in rifles.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image