Published load data for 45 colt in a 20" barrel

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Published load data for 45 colt in a 20" barrel

Post by mr surveyor »

Rifletom wrote:Oh, not sure what I may have hit here, but, I see a thumbs down thingie on golfish's last post. Oppsy on me I think. I don't know what the heck I did. Mark know's it's all good. Tech savvy, that's me.

Tom, the "thumbs down thingy" only shows up on your computer/device on posts that you have hit the "like/thanks" button. If you click the "thumbs down thingy" then your "like/thanks" for the thread will disappear. The thumbs down indicator just gives you the chance to "unlike" what you already "liked".

Make sense? Just asking ... since the late, great brain invasion I had a couple of years ago I'm a bit hesitant to try to make sense.

jd :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Hey Tom, looks like LRNFP with 7.5 grains of Unique does well for your Henry.
I'll talk to you tomorrow..
I started the dros on the Winchester today.
Rifletom

Post by Rifletom »

mr surveyor wrote:
Rifletom wrote:Oh, not sure what I may have hit here, but, I see a thumbs down thingie on golfish's last post. Oppsy on me I think. I don't know what the heck I did. Mark know's it's all good. Tech savvy, that's me.

Tom, the "thumbs down thingy" only shows up on your computer/device on posts that you have hit the "like/thanks" button. If you click the "thumbs down thingy" then your "like/thanks" for the thread will disappear. The thumbs down indicator just gives you the chance to "unlike" what you already "liked".

Make sense? Just asking ... since the late, great brain invasion I had a couple of years ago I'm a bit hesitant to try to make sense.

jd :D
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I tend to do these things now and again. :shock:
mikld

Post by mikld »

When I got my first pistol caliber carbine I wondered about "rifle" loads for it, for a little while. I figgered the gun was designed to use a handgun cartridge and would probably work quite well with handgun loads, so that's what I did. I have 5, 44 magnums; 3 revolvers, one Contender and a Puma. I don't have my chrony data handy, but all guns worked quite well with regular old handgun loads (I figger a 265 gr bullet at 1,000 fps outta my Ruger SBH is no second place to the same load at 1,100 to 1,200 fps outta my Puma). I load the same way for my 45 ACP carbine, pistol data. I recently got a SAA clone in 45 Colt and looking at the load data it seems a bit mild, but no slouch, not "Ruger only" loads. What are your plans for this gun? Hunting medium sized game or killing tin cans?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

mikld wrote: What are your plans for this gun? Hunting medium sized game or killing tin cans?
For me, it's just shooting steel out in the Mojave. I've always had a couple guns that I got when I was a kid. Since 2012, I started loading up the safe for my son and grandson, and any other grandsons that follow. I have a couple 1911s and HD shotguns for my daughters but I tell my kids that I want the collection to stay with my son and he can decide what to do with them.
mikld

Post by mikld »

If you are wanting to start reloading, get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. This is a highly recommended, popular text on what reloading is all about. It explains in detail the "how to" of reloading and shows what equipment is needed. Components are also explained. Read this text and you will know for sure if you want to get into reloading.

Hint; after you read the ABCs, and get a good manual (or three) find a load in your manual (bullet, powder, primer) before you buy any components. Many fewer headaches and mis-matched components that way. Use the data in your manual(s) only and disregard load data from any forum expert, range rat, pet loads website, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru. They may be trying to be helpful, but your manual(s) will never cause you/your guns any harm (been doin' it this way since 1970 with an occasional look-see at a powder manufacturer's website ;) )...

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

mikld wrote:If you are wanting to start reloading, get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. This is a highly recommended, popular text on what reloading is all about. It explains in detail the "how to" of reloading and shows what equipment is needed. Components are also explained. Read this text and you will know for sure if you want to get into reloading.
I've been reading a little bit about handloading for years. A few months ago I was spending a few hrs everyday reading and watching videos. I DL the old Lyman cast bullet 3rd edition, the new Nosler book came with my reloading kit and I bought the Lyman 50th yesterday. So far the Lyman 50th is the best of the bunch. Lots of rifle data for handgun cartridge.

I've already got some test loads for 38sp, 357mag and 45C. I plan to hit the Mojave next week.
Thanks for the help.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Cool! I left about .485 tons of lead out there just south of Barstow... 8-)
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

Hi Guys.. new to the forum, but not to shooting or reloading....

I've just picked up a R92 in .45 Colt, and looking around for loads. The problem is, I'm limited in my choice of powders. I live in the Uk, and in the last couple of years imports of US powders has died out due to EU (*spit*) regulations, so i'm pretty much limited to European powders.

I've been reloading light .38 target loads for 30 years so i have used most of the faster powders, but I'm currently using Vit N320. I also have a half tub of Red-dot that I used to use for .38s, and recently picked up a tub of Ramshot Zip when I was running out of N320.

This would be for 250gn hardcast bullets

Of those powders, has anyone used them, and any recommendations..?

Daryll.
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

ok, Just a follow up to this....

I'm just a plinker so don't need hot loads, but some that I'd tried were definately warm..!!

I'd read that for Red-dot loads anywhere between 6 - 7 gn would work... I tried Lee cavities for 6.4, 6.8 and 7.1 gns.... 6.4 was Ok, but 6.8 and 7.1 HURT!! and none of them were particularly accurate.

After that I toned down the loads to below 6 gn for everything..

The Vit N320 loads I tried were ok at 5.0 and 5.5 gn, and reasonably accurate.

The best was 5.6 gn of Ramshot ZIP.... that was a 2'' group at 25yds, about as good as I can expect with open sights and cataracts!!

Strangely, the most accurate was Magtech CAS ammo, which the last group of the day went into 1.5''... I don't think I've ever had factory ammo that was better than homeloads... until now....