Hornady 225 gr FTX 45 Colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hornady 225 gr FTX 45 Colt

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I would give Red Dot or the Green Dot speed powders a whirl. Might even consider Bullseye / ACC #2 types.
With that long freebore there is not much there to give powder a chance to get hot.
Maybe a mag primer ?
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

Yes I'm leaning towards a faster powder. But I still would like to have a shot at a true magnum primer before I change powders. As I'm hot sure how hot the Winchester large pistol primers are, even though they say std or magnum loads. Is there hotter primers then others. & also I'm unsure wether the the case sealing is a ignition problem or is that part of the problem?
As said earlier never had any issues in the past regarding reloading. This interesting to me but I just don't have range time to mess about with for the last ages. & no close by shooting friendly property to visit.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I use the Winchester primers in both the 45 Colt and the 44 Mag with "magnum" powders like H110 and Lil'Gun where most manuals recommend magnum primers and they work fine. Consistent velocities and low SDs. At one time Federal primers had the reputation of being hot, but lately it seems to me I've read that CCI may have taken that spot over.
As a side on the FTX and triming cases back I recently saw someone suggest seating to COL in standard cases and applying a a really tight taper crimp. I msy give this a try.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

Cheers thanks . Yep seating them deep & bigger crimp was on my mind along with a hotter powder . Downside is the apn70 powder shows quite a bit more speed then anything else in the fast - medium fast range. I guess I’ll have to do a full experiment session.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

you folks seem to have some powders we don't have, or they get renamed when imported

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

Yeah we do. There ADI ( Australian defence industry’s ) or now Thales. I believe Hodgdon use some of our powder or ADI makes powder for you guys. AP70N’s equivalents are universal , Unique, sr7625 , N330 .
Apparently they don’t make AP70N as of this year but I still have a few kgs.
Green dot is equivalent to our AS50N. I bought some lil gun recently, & we can pretty much get most of your ( US ) powders but I do like to support AUSSIE jobs & if Shtf & we can’t get US powders I don’t have to start from scratch . It’s a real shame this little circuit judge is such a bastard but i ain’t giving up.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I admire your perseverance. I alway felt it was a shame that they went for the 45/410 if they had just left it at 45 Colt without the excessive free-bore it could have a really nice concept. Don't know who got it twisted around marketing or engineering.

Make smoke,