Hornady 225 gr FTX 45 Colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Hornady 225 gr FTX 45 Colt

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Found a box of these I didn't know I had. Any body tried them in the 45 Colt "92s and what do you think in terms of Ohio white-tails?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hornady 225 gr FTX 45 Colt

Post by Ranch Dog »

+corn
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Might be a long wait. after additional searching and down loading the 10th edition of the Hornady manual I;m not certain I want shorten cases to make the spec COL.

Make smoke and Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea, I went down this road in 357 I had LEE make me a custom trimmer( thanks to RD for the suggestion on this). I kept getting cases mixed up and I never really thought it was worth it. I stuck to it for a bit. The round is accurate though I just wish the cases didn't need trimmed down like this. Ruins the cases for other loads not that I do many. Compared to most on here. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yep, seems like a waste of good cases. Plus I'm concerned about the "crude" ring in the chamber from shooting very many of them. With enough shots and the hotter powders it could possibly develop into to more than just crud.

Still I ponder, more cons than pros and it's too late to get anything ready for deer season.

Make smoke,
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree on the carbon ring not being worth it. Its why I load 357 puffs they are basically a 38 special load in a 357 case. Its so I can shot light loads without dealing with that pesky carbon ring that forms from 38 special. If you clean your gun good every session. I doubt the ring would ever be an issue. These past years though I don't clean my guns like I used to. So I started making my 357 puff loads.

Don't do what I do, If you do, you do it at your own risk!
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I have been wanting a spitzer bullet for 44 magnum, just to see what it would do long range from the 92 and blackhawk.
I bought this mold from NOE, but not used it yet.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... fa133ofce1

I got the 149 gr version, maybe should have gone with the 204 gr.
Im afraid the 149 gr with the shorter bullet may not perform well long range.

Of course i would have to do a single load in the 92.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19244 ... box-of-100
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have his somewhat heavier brother from the folks at Lyman. Been a long time since I cast any or shot any. My only 44 Mag tube is an older TC with the screw on shot choke. 8 inches without the choke and a handfull even with the Pachmeyer grip.

Make smoke,
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

Ok I have used this in my casull using colt & casull cases. I know it won’t feed ether. I was single loading this with hot loads & shoots miles high . Never really tested on paper or from a bench. But I have used it also in my circuit judge with maximum standard pressure loads , accuracy seems to be ok , for the judge 4-5” at 40 yards off hand. Have taken a few pigs with it, one shot was right through the heart at about 10 - 15 yards & side on shot. Instant kill he was full flight & when hit skidded up on his nose & flipped over & bled out real fast. The other larger boar was about 150ish lbs live weight and about 70 yards away, & he took a full 12 rounds. Big creek in between us. The rounds were zipping right through & hitting the ground 80 - 100 yards behind him. Next day found a fired projectile on top of the ground about 150ish yards behind him. The red tip was flattened & squished , but very little damage to the projectile. At std pressure loads from “ the judge “ I don’t think it is moving fast enough to expand. At this stage l’m not happy with the 225gr ftx out of the “ judge”. Although the judge isn’t the easiest firearm to get a efficient performing round matchup with. I have still some loaded ftx , & will be loading up some Lehigh 135 & 120gr extreme defence, & some 170gr controlled fracture projectiles to try on my next trip.
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

Re my last post. I’d say my speed is down as i’m Getting unburned powder, very sooted cases & don’t sound right. It doesn’t bang like a gun should. While on my trip, I used my lee hand press to seat the bullets as deep as I could & gave a extra heavy crimp to try & get a better burn. With slightly better results, but still had unburned powder. Even the best loads i’ve Made had unburned powder. Even with trailboss, which is a faster burning powder. I’m not giving up on this gun, I just need to sort out the sealing & low pressure issues. Seller & ballot 130gr hp bang quite hard in it. So I have laybyed 200 rounds of American eagle 225gr & S&B 130gr to try as well. I’ve never had the problems reloading with any other firearm than this circuit judge.