Rossi Reloaders

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mikld

Rossi Reloaders

Post by mikld »

Either there are not many Rossi owners that reload, or there are a bunch of Rossi owners that reload and have no problems/questions. :lol: Not a lot of traffic on this sub forum...

I have a Puma ( Mod. 92) in .44 Mag that I purchased in '95. It has been an adventure reloading for this gun. Barrel slugs out at .432" so I had to find a good mold that would give me .433"+ bullets and would feed easily in my rifle (I prefer lead bullets for my guns except for my Contender that likes 240 gr jacketed). I found a Ranch Dog mold (RNFP 265 gr) that filled my rifle's needs beautifully. Not long ago I picked up another RD mold but in 240 gr. Both work quite well in all 5 of my 44 Magnums and my Puma eats them like M&Ms. I have a good, mid range load of Blue Dot and an upper load of WC820 under the 265 gr bullet (WC820 load gave me around 1,600 fps).

So, hows yer reloading going?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Rossi Reloaders

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I reload for my 2, 357 Mag and 45 Colt with both cast and jacketed.

I have my hunting load for the 45C and keep looking for something for the 357 (currently toying with a 180 gr Penn Bullets offering and H110). Current project is with the 45C and Missouri Bullets 255 gr Keith style. I bought two sample packs one conventional lube and the other with the HyTech coating. I'm loading ladders using the same loading with both styles. So far I've made them up using True Blue and HS-6. Still want to do a set with Tite Group. The first half of October is a busy month for me with assorted dog events but they finish up when I finish running one this week end. I'll get the Tite Group done and then hopefully by the end of next week make a run to the range. That just went f.rom 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours as my local range is closed for renovation.

So all in all it goes, well.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I really like the results I get from using True Blue in both .44 maggie and .45 Colt. That powder meters very consistently.

I've read of warnings about using Titegroup behind cast lead boolitz and poly coated boolitz as it burns with very hot flame front.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I like True Blue when I use it in 380 and 9mm. These are the first I've done in the Colt.

The hot burn with Titegroup is one of the things I don't like about it, 2 or 3 rounds and the Rossi is almost too hot to handle, particularly on a hot summer day. I'm using the new edition of the Lyman cast bullet handbook. The Mo Bullet is supposed to be the Lyman 452424. Will see what happens on the range.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Maybe it's because RD has a reloading forum on a different website. For those that don't know it's https://www.lee-loader.com/index.php.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, I reload all of mine; 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, & 480 Ruger. All of the barrels on my rifles are at the SAAMI spec and they seem to shoot their best at .001" over groove diameter. Yep, they are all shooting my designs. All the bullets are sent downrange at jacketed bullet max velocities using Lil'Gun and the serve as hunting rifles.

I did toy with the 357 Mag as a round ball shooter for racoons raiding my pecan trees, but found that the RB deflects easily on the small branches and is not an efficient killer compared to the 72% meplat of my bullets. I went back to using mt TLC225-50-RF in my 218 Bee. Now, this rifle uses my 35 Rem bullet, the TLC359-190-RF, sized at .357". I use 38 Spl cases loaded to 357 Mag pressures.

My 44 Mag uses my 275-grain bullet. I was going to try my 250-grain bullet with it this past summer, but never got to it.

The 45 Colt uses my 290-grain bullet. The 454 Casull, a 330- grain, and the 480 Ruger a 375-grain.

I've killed many hogs with these rifle, the time frame since the start of this forum, well over 500. My loading has gone from hand loading (load development) to reloading (refilling inventory) when the need arises.

All the reloading takes place on a Lee turret press using Lee dies. Recently, the last year or so, I started using the Lee AutoDrum so i went back through the turret setup and each cartridge has a dedicated Drum to make the powder delivery simple. The AutoDrum is mounted on the Lee Powder Through Expander dies.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Im suprised at your use of the Turret. How many rounds would you say you load in a week? A month? Why not a progressive of some kind, or the new LABLP?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I got this NOE wadcutter a while back, but not done anything with it yet.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... fa133ofce1
want to try small game loads like RD mentioned.
Keeping coons,possums, gophers away from the Chicken coop is a never ending job. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:Im suprised at your use of the Turret. How many rounds would you say you load in a week? A month? Why not a progressive of some kind, or the new LABLP?
About twenty rounds per year per rifle. When I go out in the pasture, I have to go out through my range. I stop, shoot the 100-yard gong, and continue out.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another problem I ran into with the RB is that they would not cycle through the action. With half the ball outside of 357 Mag case, .18", the cartridge OAL was way too short to function.
Michael