Load suggestions

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Load suggestions

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Since Missouri Bullets offer decent size sample packs of their bullets (100) I decided to get a couple packs to try with the 45 Colt. Decided to try the 255 Keith style in both conventional lube and Hi-Tek coated. Would like to be able to work with powders I have on hand (H110, Lil'Gun, Tight Group, True Blue). Going through the various on-line sources it looks like I might need to use low end jacketed loads in that weight. I see several sources showing either HS-5 or HS-6 which I'm not familiar with. Anyone out here with 45 Colt experience with these 2 powders and heavier bullets?

Thanks, Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Load suggestions

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nothing surprises me anymore, so I went to the Hodgdon source and verified there isn't an HS5. So, that eliminates that from consideration.

I work with H110 & Lil'Gun with the 45 Colt but only with max loads. I use HS6 in my 9mm Luger and 12 Gauge slug gun.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I really like HS6 but the onpy thing ive used it in is 158gr .357Mag

I got my load from Lymans Cast Bullet manual which had the highest published value id yet seen for a very zippy round, considering. Unfortunately i cant reference it as its in a storage unit 2000mi away. But i can vouch for HS6, its what i consider a great middle of the road powder
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Nothing surprises me anymore, so I went to the Hodgdon source and verified there isn't an HS5. So, that eliminates that from consideration.

I work with H110 & Lil'Gun with the 45 Colt but only with max loads. I use HS6 in my 9mm Luger and 12 Gauge slug gun.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. It showed up in in some listings on load data. I need to run back through them and see if I can find them again.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Must have been either a brain phart or an old guy moment as I didn't find what I thought I'd seen.

Anyway another question - these MB bullets are said to be 18 bhn. What sort of pressure would these expect to stand up to? Will the coating make a difference?
Thanks!

Make smoke,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: Anyway another question - these MB bullets are said to be 18 bhn. What sort of pressure would these expect to stand up to? Will the coating make a difference?
I don't have any experience with coated bullets, but if they were lubed and had a reasonable ogive to throat fit; plain based bullets would be about 27K PSI and gas checked 35K PSI. Not pulling from a formula or table, just my shooting experience.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think my confusion may have come from the inclusion of ACC #5 in the mix. Another powder that I have no experience with, but plan to get a jug of HS-6 today. That will give me Trail Boss, True Blue, Tight Group and the HS-6 plus H110 and Lil'Gun maybe to work with.

Make smoke,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's a good mix.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

I'm taking a different approach to my 45 Colt loads. H110/W296 is a Magnum powder, too much for the 45 Colt, IMO. I haven't used Tite Group or Lil Gun in my 45 Colt loads, and I have only used cast lead data for my 255 gr SWC loads, both as cast and PCed, right from my Lyman manuals (50th and 4th Cast Bullet Handbook). I have used some W231 and Trailboss with good results and have some loads of True Blue waiting to be tested. And FWIW, I find a load in my reloading manual(s) before I purchase any components.

I'm not shooting a Contender or Ruger so my loads are relatively low pressure and I'm casting my own from 10-12 BHN to max. Lyman #2 hardness. BHN 18 is way too hard IMO, and if the bullets are the least bit too small you'll get leading. An important part of shooting lead bullets is proper bullet to gun fit...

My Lyman manuals say 7.2 gr of True Blue will give 854 fps from 7 1/2" bbl., Titegroup starting load is 816 fps out of a 7 1/2' bbl....
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

W231 is all I've loaded in .45C. I'm not paying $28 for 9 ounces of powder (TrailBoss) and I consider Lil Gun a magnum powder too although you can load it down more so than H110, etc.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.