Load suggestions

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Load suggestions

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

With Trail Boss it's a weight vs volume thing. You can almost as many loads out of the 9 oz as you can from a pound of the others. I like it for plinking loads in several of my guns.

In the past I have widely varying results with Tight Group. In the Rossi with most bullets lighter than 250 grains it maxes out before it develops enough pressure to completely obdurate and the cases come out smokey to black depending on the loading.

As to the rest we'll see what happens and if these live up to Mo Bullets advertising slogan. Got a busy October with dog stuff and with the closure of my close by ODNR range for improvements my drive for 50 and 100 yards has gone from 40 minutes to an hour and 40, so I have to plan accordingly to make the drive worth while.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mikld

Post by mikld »

So far, for me, the 45 Colt has a mystique about it. Big fat cartridge and bullets shot in a SAA just has a feeling all it's own. For me big and fast isn't the right way to go with the 45, so all my reIoads are mid range with "classic" bullets. I have 5, 44 Magnums and at first they were "big and bad" ("the most powerful handgun in the world") but are now just (?) an excellent cartridge/gun to me, very good, but not "special". My 45 Colt clone is almost as much fun to shoot as my Garand, and is a hair more fun than my Ruger SBH. Maybe it's the "cowboy" in me, dunno, but the 45 Colt is, well, special... ;)
Last edited by mikld on 06 Oct 2018 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
remus

Post by remus »

I've a late 80's Blackhawk in 45 colt, 4-1/2" barrel and a Uberti with a 7" barrel. The Blackhawk gives me about 850fps, and the Uberti 790fps with my cast 250 grn keith bullet and 16.0 grns of 2400. That same load gives me 1160fps out of my 18" Rossi 92. If I bump the load up to 18 gns it comes out of the Rossi at over 1400fps. I don't shoot the 18 grn load out of the Uberti but the Blackhawk will handle it. Never chrono'd the load out of a revolver though. I usually just shoot the 16.0 grn load as it is totally adequate fo what I do which is plink.
Ray F.

Post by Ray F. »

14.7gr of HS-6 is my "go to" powder in .454 Casull brass using a 255 LSWC in a Ruger Alaskan. Its just below Hodgdon's 454C minimum load, but it moved the boolit faster and more accurately than Hodgdon's 45LC maximum load. More of a push when compared to the kick of H110/W296.

I didn't know how it would recoil, so I started my work up in 45LC brass, using 45LC data on Hogdon's site for 250gr LRNFP and was pleasantly surprised with the recoil and accuracy all the way up to max. I got no pressure signs, either.

I believe it's considered a low to mid-power powder. I use the Alaskan as a gauge to what I'm willing to expose to the 92. Anything that is too much for me with the Alaskan is too much for the 92.

Good powder. for 45LC.