Tested the new IMR Red powder, here are my results...

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio357MagFan

Tested the new IMR Red powder, here are my results...

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

I do a lot of general plinking/blasting with my hand loads loaded to a vast spectrum of power levels, I have been wanting to try the new IMR Red powder as it's very useful for mild loads because it's both very fast burning and very bulky. IMR created this powder to mimic Red Dot (though they claim you can't use same data) but this new powder is supposedly much cleaner burning, that's the claim at least. Anyways, went out shooting this weekend and here are my results over my chronograph....

Tested in 357 magnum with both a Ruger 4.2 inch barrel revolver and carbine 16 in barrel......

I used the SNS casting brand 125 truncated nose flat point Polymer Coated bullet for the tests and all starline brass and always CCI standard small pistol primers.

Ultra Mild most Powder Puff load, this load was loaded in 38 special brass to overall length of 1.47...

3 grains- 675 FPS from 4.2 inch barrel revolver and 895 fps from rifle. FYI I was shooting this load with no hearing protection from the rifle, was a lot of fun pinging steel at 100 yards, no need for suppressor with this load when shot from rifle!

In 357 magnum brass and loaded to overall length of 1.58.....

5 grains- 945 fps from 4.2 in barrel revolver and 1225 fps from rifle

5.5 grains- 997 (every shot just hitting slightly shy of 1000 fps) from revolver and was hitting low 1300s from rifle

That's it for now folks, will test this powder a lot more in future with other bullets and in the 44 special and 44 magnum rifle/handgun pair. It certainly is very useful for mild loads and could be good alternative to Trail Boss and Red Dot. It did seem very clean burning for sure
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Tested the new IMR Red powder, here are my results...

Post by mr surveyor »

how does the "bulk" compare to Trail Boss?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Mr Surveyor,

Well I've never used Trail Boss personally, but I do understand it to be ultra bulky so I don't believe it's that much, but it is definitely more the Unique, and I consider Unique bulky in comparison to most other powders. I can tell you for sure it did very well with the very low pressure loads in regards to the shot to shot velocity variation being low. Also another thing to note is I also tried shooting the 5 and 5.5 grain charge loads with no hearing protection when shot from the rifle and they were very quiet- not supressor quiet and they were going supersonic- noise wise they were just like shooting a .22 rifle with the ammo that going about the same exact speed, 1200s, when shooting outside I feel no hearing protection needed with that, but you got the equal of 9mm plus p power. I like the quiet loads because I have a couple acres and live outside city limits but still homes around and it's not tooo far outside the city, like semi rural. Plus something for the children and women to enjoy
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you for that report O357MF.
Those are very good results.
Im currently working on some small game loads for 44 mag,44 special, 44 russian.
And a higher charge produces 1300 from a carbine, be good for large game.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Mad Trapper,

I'm about to experiment with IMR Red for mild gallery loads in 44 mag and 44 special. I have some polymer coated cast 240 gr semi wadcutter bullets and my goal is to make a load with the same power level as .45 ACP (850-950 fps) AND can be shot from the rifle with no hearing protection, I know it's not supressor level quiet but quiet enough like a .22 lr rifle with standard velocity ammo. The fact it's a super fast burning powder helps to tame the noise down in the longer barrel becasue it's a tiny pinch of powder and the pressure spikes fast and then by the time the bullet is uncorked the pressure has gone down a lot in comparison to a large charge of slow burnin powder. In 44 special I plan to load from 4.5 grains to 5 grains and in the longer 44 mag cases I plan to load those 240 grainers in the 5.5-6 grain charge range. There is published data for this powder in 44 special but not the magnum but that should be totally safe
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

That sounds real good.
I was reading Elmer Keith the other night, either sixguns or gun notes, I should have marked the page, but he explained his small game loads for 38, 44 and 45 I believe.
Basically taking small charges of bullseye, using upside down gas checks as over powder cards and overshot cards with shot between #8 to #10.
taking an inverted gas check and pushing it down on the powder, then fill up the case with shot, leave enough room for the inverted gas check to seat flush with case, then crimp.
I will see if I can find the article.
Very quiet loads for Grouse and such.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I keep hearing (no pun intended) recipes "for use without hearing protection like .22LR from a rifle" but that's VERY relative as I won't shoot without at least wearing some plugs unless it's an emergency. I'm not here to tell anyone what to do because it doesn't matter to me but obviously loud to one person must not be loud to another.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Very true GG, you are right on.

I damaged my hearing in the military several decades ago, but couldnt be helped at the time.
VA set me up with hearing aides, but I still have the constant high pitch ringing, that will be with me for the rest of my life.
What I wouldnt give for good hearing and peace with no ringing.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

If I recall the article IMR is selling these in 12 ounce cans instead of lb cans?
25% less by weight than standard?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Trail Boss (in my purchasing experience) is sold in the same cans as "normal" powders are sold in 1 lb weight, but the volume filled by Trail Boss in the same can is only 9 ounces (by weight). That's bulk.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!