Interesting .357 bullets available

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Interesting .357 bullets available

Post by Arroyoshark »

I am not sure of popularity here of Plated handgun/rifle bullets, but I acquired some 158 gr. flatpoint plated bullets only recently to reload for handgun. I ordered them from Evergreen Ballistics in Oregon at $57/500. They measure .357" dia. Shipping was very fast to NM. Probably would work just fine in .357 mag. carbine if the diameter works out for you.

3004_sm.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Interesting .357 bullets available

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't suppose you could get them sized to .358 could you?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Guess I don't have an answer to that, Mr. Surveyor. Perhaps a call to Evergreen Ballistics might reveal whether they could resize plated bullets to .358. Maybe there is a threshold order quantity for them to do that, don't know. I know cast bullets are usually sized .358.

I perused jacketed and plated bullet offerings from MidwayUSA. Near as I can observe, most jacketed or plated .38 bullet offerings are sized .357. I did a non-exhaustive search for accurate bullets in Rossi R92 .357. A lot of posters are commenting good accuracy from Hornady XTP bullets and Berry's plated bullets, which are sized .357. Not owning a Rossi R92 .357, I sure can't say much about particular peculiarities associated with Rossi barrel bore/groove diameters. You may possess superior knowledge in that area .

I tend to like the wide flatnose boolitz, so this offering seemed promising. I am thinking they will be a good bullet for the SP101. The shape also looks like it should feed well in a lever gun.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use jacketed bullets for 5.45X45 and not much else. I do have some JHPs to load for .357 Magnum and they measure .3575". :lol:

The few JHPs I have for .45 AUTO measure .451".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I've also been loading these 158 gr. wide flat nose bullets, sold by thecastbulletshop.com.(image below) I suspect this design is a Lee mold. The cost was $42/500. Seller offers either .358 or .359 sizing. I was impressed by weight uniformity and casting quality - no wrinkles or potholes in bullets & nicely lubed. I have been loading these with 8.8 gr. of AA5 for plinking loads or 13.5 gr Enforcer for more authoritative loads - both loads softer shooting than many other powders.

I like the wide flat nose bullet designs, especially when hiking in known black bear habitat with SP101 - just never know. BTW,I also load a 187 gr. wide flat nose coated bullet offered by Missouri Bullets, pushed by Enforcer powder, but run those in larger L-frame. That bullet is very similar to bullet that Gas Guzzler casts and has posted.

158 grain wide flat nose .357 bullet
EditorItem_35918_4_16999.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

BTW, I observed the plated wfn bullet and the cast WFN bullet have nearly identical meplat diameters.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Plated bullets are limited to around 1200 - 1250 fps.
My cast lead 158s are all powder coated, but I keep them down to 1200 or less.

If you want to go faster than that consider FMJ of some type.
Ive been very happy with Hornady XTPs.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer