Interesting .357 bullets available

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Interesting .357 bullets available

Post by Arroyoshark »

I am not sure of popularity here of Plated handgun/rifle bullets, but I acquired some 158 gr. flatpoint plated bullets only recently to reload for handgun. I ordered them from Evergreen Ballistics in Oregon at $57/500. They measure .357" dia. Shipping was very fast to NM. Probably would work just fine in .357 mag. carbine if the diameter works out for you.

3004_sm.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Interesting .357 bullets available

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't suppose you could get them sized to .358 could you?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Guess I don't have an answer to that, Mr. Surveyor. Perhaps a call to Evergreen Ballistics might reveal whether they could resize plated bullets to .358. Maybe there is a threshold order quantity for them to do that, don't know. I know cast bullets are usually sized .358.

I perused jacketed and plated bullet offerings from MidwayUSA. Near as I can observe, most jacketed or plated .38 bullet offerings are sized .357. I did a non-exhaustive search for accurate bullets in Rossi R92 .357. A lot of posters are commenting good accuracy from Hornady XTP bullets and Berry's plated bullets, which are sized .357. Not owning a Rossi R92 .357, I sure can't say much about particular peculiarities associated with Rossi barrel bore/groove diameters. You may possess superior knowledge in that area .

I tend to like the wide flatnose boolitz, so this offering seemed promising. I am thinking they will be a good bullet for the SP101. The shape also looks like it should feed well in a lever gun.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use jacketed bullets for 5.45X45 and not much else. I do have some JHPs to load for .357 Magnum and they measure .3575". :lol:

The few JHPs I have for .45 AUTO measure .451".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I've also been loading these 158 gr. wide flat nose bullets, sold by thecastbulletshop.com.(image below) I suspect this design is a Lee mold. The cost was $42/500. Seller offers either .358 or .359 sizing. I was impressed by weight uniformity and casting quality - no wrinkles or potholes in bullets & nicely lubed. I have been loading these with 8.8 gr. of AA5 for plinking loads or 13.5 gr Enforcer for more authoritative loads - both loads softer shooting than many other powders.

I like the wide flat nose bullet designs, especially when hiking in known black bear habitat with SP101 - just never know. BTW,I also load a 187 gr. wide flat nose coated bullet offered by Missouri Bullets, pushed by Enforcer powder, but run those in larger L-frame. That bullet is very similar to bullet that Gas Guzzler casts and has posted.

158 grain wide flat nose .357 bullet
EditorItem_35918_4_16999.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

BTW, I observed the plated wfn bullet and the cast WFN bullet have nearly identical meplat diameters.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Plated bullets are limited to around 1200 - 1250 fps.
My cast lead 158s are all powder coated, but I keep them down to 1200 or less.

If you want to go faster than that consider FMJ of some type.
Ive been very happy with Hornady XTPs.