Lilgun powder in the 357 Rossi 92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Johnnyjr

Lilgun powder in the 357 Rossi 92

Post by Johnnyjr »

I've been reading with great interest the articles about using the lilgun powder with cast bullets. All the articles mention cast bullets,but I did not see any mention on the softness or hardness of such bullets. Most of the bullets I have need experimenting with are between 9 to 13 bhn. So should the bullets be harder? (Mine are gas checked). I would appreciate some more information on this. Thanks john..
GasGuzzler

Re: Lilgun powder in the 357 Rossi 92

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't measure hardness. I use a gas check on my stout 158s and 180s.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ethang

Post by ethang »

I have only used Lil'gun with jacketed bullets in my 357. It has shot better the harder I drove it and my load I use it actually over book max without issues "in my rifle"... that said, it is a hot powder temperature wise and my barrel gets much hotter using it than with other loads. I am guessing that is not going to do well with lead bullets, especially without a gas check like GasGuzzler mentioned. I will defer to people who have tried it though.
Plastic has no soul...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's probably the best for 180 cast there is followed by 2400 in my experience.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
newtire

Post by newtire »

Johnnyjr wrote:I've been reading with great interest the articles about using the lilgun powder with cast bullets. All the articles mention cast bullets,but I did not see any mention on the softness or hardness of such bullets. Most of the bullets I have need experimenting with are between 9 to 13 bhn. So should the bullets be harder? (Mine are gas checked). I would appreciate some more information on this. Thanks john..
I have used lil'gun with lots of cast boolit loads with no problems at all. Now that I powder coat, I don't use gas checks and have had no trouble either. I use a lot of HS-6 lately but really don't have all the heat issues I hear about.
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

Appreciate the update.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

My go to, best performing load in my 16" trapper uses LilGun, 14gr and a 165gr GC SWC.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

For what it's worth, I've seen a general consensus that for plinking or target shooting, gas checks (and even powder coating) pretty much negates the requirement to match bullet hardness to your chamber pressures. For hunting you'll want to match bullet hardness to the actual terminal performance of your bullet profile. I'm currently shooting mostly plain base (PB) lead bullets and pay attention to hardness primarily to stay clear of that dreaded bore fouling lead monster. If a particular gun/load needs faster velocities (higher chamber pressure) for accuracy, then I usually switch over to powder coated bullets.
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

Thanks for the information