Lil'Gun 357mag Chrono Data In My Rossis

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!

Re: Lil'Gun 357mag Chrono Data In My Rossis

Postby GasGuzzler » 09 Sep 2018 03

2400 seemed to fall from favor at the last component shortage but it by far my favorite for .357 in the Blackhawk. I started to lean to Lil Gun in the slow twist Rossi with heavy for caliber bullets before this topic. 300-MP is another good alternative since 2400 is so difficult to find and LG "eats" guns.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

My Rossi Choice: Revolver

Postby Archer » 09 Sep 2018 12

Arroyoshark wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:The SDS on the Alliant web site shows it contains both nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose so double base at least in its current formulation.

Make smoke,

Thanks, hadn't checked that. It had long been my understanding from someplace that 2400 was double base, which is why I referenced it as a ball powder, even tho physically that may not be correct.

If you go all the way to page 6 on the SDS they claim it is a small black/gray flake in appearance.
They used to have the description of the powder's appearance and granule type right before what it was good for in the general info but I guess they are afraid somebody will attempt to sweep it up and put it back in the can based on what it looks like if they spill it and have hidden the description in the SDS. (I wonder if anyone rewrote the SDSs when the title changed from MSDSs?)

2400 was back at the gunshow this past weekend. first I've seen in a while. If I hadn't had a keg I might have bought some.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

My Rossi Choice: M92

Postby Ohio3Wheels » 09 Sep 2018 12

and to further the confusion :D
I wandered by the Center for Forensic Science web site and looked at their info on Alliant 2400. The photomicrograph shows a grayish disk with a few cylindrical pieces thrown into the mix and they show it a single base if I'm reading the component list correctly. Organic chem was a long time ago.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Archer » 09 Sep 2018 13

I don't know as I'd call that 'disks' since it looks like it's ALL extruded and cut. Then again I'm not certain about the definition and manufacturing process differences between flake and short cut rod. (I think most of the short cut versions of rod powders sort of went away during the component shortage.)

The cut length looks to be 1/4 to 3/4 diameter with the majority of what you can see at 1/2 to 3/4 dia.
Most of the cylinders show evidence of a couple pieces stuck together after the extrude cut process. Might be a bit of variation due to processing techniques or variations in moisture content during extruding.

I might just have to see if I've got both 'brands' and do a appearance comparison. I no longer have a microscope and never had a camera attachment for one...

On another note, I got curious about the differences is Hercules and Alliant 2400 and did a web search.
It's not exactly a scientific analysis but several folks have run comparisons with their data books and run comparisons using older lots of powder both opened and sealed against the new production. The results of those informal investigations I managed to sample indicate that the new stuff performs as much like the olds stuff as the normal lot to lot variation in reloading powder that you'd get anyway. In other words while there is a slight variation in density for a given volume, loading by the same weight gives so close to the same results as to be indistinguishable. Those of us without a chrony might want to use data that corresponds to the manufacture date of our powder as much as possible but the variations in the test equipment from manual to manual, maybe variations in bullet construction and over the years and variation in environmental conditions (humidity/pressure/altitude/etc.) is probably responsible for more of the changes in listed load max than anything else. The variation in OUR firearms vs. the TEST article, our environmental conditions and our exact lot of bullets is probably just as great.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Previous

Return to Handloading