An interesting development

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Accadacca

An interesting development

Post by Accadacca »

Several years ago, maybe six or seven years ago, I bought 2 boxes of 125 grain JSP. I don't suppose the manufacturer is important since the original box is long gone. I noticed that they seemed to have just very slight roll crimp, and some of them didn't have any perceptible cramp at all but I didn't think much of it at the time. In any case I shot a few and put the rest away.

So I just recently have started shooting again after a break of several years, and I pulled these out to shoot them up and get rid of them, but as I was loading them into the gun I noticed one in particular which the bullet had been pushed back into the case just slightly. Not very much but more than I was comfortable with. I grabbed a pair of side-cutters and used my single stage press to pull the bullet out, but I was quite surprised at how little effort it took. I also was able to reseat the bullet with just slight finger pressure, so I put a little crimp on it and single loaded it just to get rid of it.

I sat down later to go through all the remaining rounds and give them a thorough inspection. I did not find any more with setback. What I did find, thought, is five split cases. five brand new factory made rounds with split cases. now there are only 68 rounds left so I went through my brass bucket to see if I could find the fired brass and I only found 4 cases, one of which was split wide open for half the length of the case.

So now I have 63 rounds of factory ammunition that I really am not particularly comfortable firing. I figure I can either put a slight cramp on all the remaining rounds and fire them single shot, or pull the bullets and either add a light charge of Unique to make plinking rounds, or just salvage the bullets and primers and toss everything else.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An interesting development

Post by Ranch Dog »

What is the headstamp on the cartridge, just curious who made them?
...so I went through my brass bucket to see if I could find the fired brass and I only found 4 cases, one of which was split wide open for half the length of the case.
Given this, I would not shoot them.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I ain't shooting them.

Post a pic of the headstamp.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

Ranch Dog wrote:What is the headstamp on the cartridge, just curious who made them?
I really did not want to do that, since I no longer have the lot number available, and they are several years old so the rest of the lot likely already has been expended anyway. I would not want to badmouth a major manufacturer without giving them some opportunity to rectify the situation. If you want I can send you a message.
...so I went through my brass bucket to see if I could find the fired brass and I only found 4 cases, one of which was split wide open for half the length of the case.
Given this, I would not shoot them.
I get what you're saying, but doesn't the fact that some of the new, unfired cases are already split more alarming? I'm not happy to find one split after firing but that does happen from time to time, albeit rarely.

I will at least say that it is one of the major US manufacturers and an "old" name.
Last edited by Accadacca on 28 Jun 2017 07:44, edited 2 times in total.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

GasGuzzler wrote:I ain't shooting them.

Post a pic of the headstamp.
I'd rather not because that would reveal the name of the company, and I don't want to do that since they have no opportunity to look into the issue, as I no longer have the lot number available. Is there something specific that you're looking for? Maybe I can describe it to you.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sounds like some bad alloy (brass) that didn't age well. One hopes either it was caught and recalled back when or when shot new most of it survived. At least one of the majors makes their own brass or at least they did in the past. Most of the others buy brass probably from the above mentioned. You would think that out of spec brass would be caught by incoming QC, but then again there's that old Monday/Friday thing along with Mr. Murphy. Be safe.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If it's Amerc munitions, then don't feel bad everyone has learned it's the worst ammo ever made no matter what caliber. I still have near a case of their .223. All had split necks when new. No Q.S. to help either. Be safe +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!