454 Casull Hornady 240 gr XTP MAG Problems

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
Mad Max

454 Casull Hornady 240 gr XTP MAG Problems

Post by Mad Max »

OK so here is the problem.
I bought 4 packs of Hornady 240 gr XTP MAG when I was buying my Rossi M92 Puma.
Already during first shooting there was a problem with broken cases in that ammo. Almost 20% of each pack broke up. The half of the case stays in barrel and had to be removed by pushing it away from the muzzle end.
It's danger! Especially when you want to shoot fast few times on hunting.
Some of cases have marks showing that they are almost broken.

I'ved change the ammo for Magtech 260gr SJSP and don't have any problems with it.
BTW it reloads "smoother".

Have You ever heard of such kind of issues with Hornady?
What do you think is causing the problem?

Some pics below.
All of them comes from one pack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 454 Casull Hornady 240 gr XTP MAG Problems

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Headspace and I'm guessing the ammo. I think contact with Hornady is in order. I shoot a little of their ammo, 35 Rem, 45 Colt and 45-70 (very little of the last as I don't like it) I've not heard of this problem. Do you have any body handy that could check the rifle's head space just be on the safe side. Since there was no problem with the MagTech ammo I suspect none with the rifle but better safe than sorry.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I'm in agreement that you need to do two things.

1) Notify Hornady immediately of the potential problem with their ammo. They'll probably ask you to send it to them, and if so they will replace it and compensate you for shipping.

2) Get the headspace checked to ensure that it won't close on a "field" gauge, and since it's new it should not close on a "no go" gauge. If it will accept a no go gauge I'd be concerned enough to return it to Rossi, and if it will accept a field gauge it is very close to the maximum SAMMI limit and is potentially not safe to fire.

It is important to understand that a lever action still has a great deal of camming force and that when operated with the lever, a no go or even a field gauge can be closed on a chamber with near minimum head space. The proper way to gauge the headspace is to close the bolt manually with the lever disengaged and with the ejector removed. On a Model 92, you'll be looking for the flush fit of the bolt to the back of the receiver.

Either way, let Hornady know the results of the head space check.

-----

On the plus side, as you noted, when a case fails due to excessive stretch (which is what is happening here), the gas is normally still contained by the case, you just get a separation.

What happens is that the firing pin drives the case forward, the cartridge fires, and the pressure building in the case seals the cartridge wall against the chamber in the forward part of the case, where the brass is a little thinner. However, where the brass is thicker in the web of the case closer to the head, the initial pressure is not high enough to press it against the chamber. The increasing pressure in the case then drives the case head back against the bolt face, and the case wall is stretched at the point just behind where it was sealed to the chamber.

If the head space is excessive enough, and/or if the case walls are excessively thin, and/or if the round has been fired several times with repeated small amounts of stretching and has developed a ring of thin brass, a head separation can occur.

The good news however is that as the pressure continues to increase, it will normally seal the case against the chamber behind the separation so gas loss is minimal, or at least not catastrophic. That's a much different failure mechanism than a soft headed case that cannot contain the pressure, ruptures through the head and releases massive amount of hot, high pressure gas into the action.

----

In any case, you need to determine if the separations are occurring due to excessive headspace in your Model 92, or due to excessively thin case walls in Hornady brass.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would think it an issue with the ammunition. In that you are in Poland, you would probably need to return it to your dealer/supplier and let them worry with it.

In that you have four boxes, you might compare the "lot" numbers inside the box flap. If any of the other boxes are of a different lot number than the problem ammo, you might try it.
Michael
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Thanks guys. I'm gonna use your advice.
I will let you know if I got any answer from Hornady.
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

It's been awhile.. ;-)
Fortunetly it seems that it was a problem with ammo.

I bought few boxes of Hornady 300 XTP and there is no problem with it.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great to hear +guns I hope Hornady makes it right with the other ammo.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Sounds to me as if there might have been a bad lot of brass involved on Hornady's end.
I use a bit of their ammo in .45 ACP and .444 Marlin and maybe 9mm.
I haven't noticed any issues so far.
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Yes. I think that might be a problem.
So far so good with 300gr XTP ;-)