Bought a new lever gun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Bought a new lever gun

Post by golfish »

Ruger will probably offer the same 39 that Remlin did towards the end.
ethang

Post by ethang »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Arroyoshark wrote:I am surprised no-one drags out their now ancient Ithaca M-49 single shot lever action as being their legacy .22 since their teen years in the 60's ... they were simple and accurate.
I was born in the '70's. Henry's .22 is a pot metal receiver with a painted facade. If they made it like a 39A the MSRP would be $1500. Because so, I don't see Ruger bringing back the 39A at all.

well youngster.... ;) (1969'er here).... that pot metal and painted facade at the price point they are getting sold is still a pretty solid deal. While I would love an original 39, and will buy the first decently priced one I encounter... $1500 for a modern one would be hard to swallow...
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have a Winchester 9422M, It's a nice little rifle.

I own a Henry 22S/L/LR Octagonal and it's pretty solid, smooth action, accurate. Yeah the black receiver cover IS painted and it will scratch pretty easy but it's a fun little gun.

I have a Browning BLR22, It's a sweet little gun. Fun with a tiny lever arc. Some folks love the way the trigger goes with the lever to avoid finger pinch but I've never had an issue with that on any lever I can recall.

I do have a 1885 Winchester single shot with a half octagonal half round barrel but it is a Japanese rendition and not a 100 year old heirloom even though I seem to be at least a little older than some of you whippersnappers. It's quite a nice gun. I enjoy bringing it out on the rimfire range while the rangemaster tries to tell me I can't use a centerfire on the smallbore range.

IF you want to talk about your pot metal guns I'd have to say one of the most successful of that lot was probably the Remington Nylon 66 offerings. Could be fun but with a much higher pot metal percent content over the Henry and much less durable in the long run. Many of those are still going strong 40-50 years after they were manufactured.

As for the Remington-Marlin 39As. I'm not sure how many of them got produced but the price tag on them was pretty stupid expensive. As I recall they were advertised at two or three times what Marlin had been asking for them before Remington bought them out and the pre-Remington 39A was already at a highly inflated price. GGs $1500 might have been pretty close to the Remlin price.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nylon 66 ... another one I have no use for and can't understand the affinity others have for it.

The most successful pot-metal gun I can think of is the Marlin 60 and/or the Ruger 10/22. Neither of those were supposed to mimic blued steel however.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

RE: Remington Nylon 66.

Geez, I was trying to decide if I wanted one of these when they came out. As a teen, I used to examine, hold them, ponder them at the local Monkey Wards Store in 1961. They weren't very expensive. I had been using an old beat up Win. model 67 single shot which the extractor/sear was wearing out. Ward's Federal .22 LR ammo was only 50 cents per box of 50. I dreamt of a Winchester .30-30, but with lawn mowing and part time store janitor revenues, a .22 better fit my budget. Never got that Nylon 66.

Archer, for clarity, the Nylon 66 was not a pot metal gun. It was a steel barreled rifle with a nylon receiver and steel firing pin, covered with a steel stamping so it appeared like a regular firearm. It used nylon ball bearings in the action and reportedly was very reliable in frigid environments as no additional lube was required.

Nope, the Nylon 66 won't be judged in same category as GG's 1951 Marlin lever either, beyond that it fires .22 LR. Remington sold more than a million Nylon 66's in any case. They worked as designed with the magazine in the butt stock.

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 carbine a couple years after they came out. Much later my son shot it a whole bunch out at the range and at rabbits. Still limping along with that ancient carbine, still works as when new, tho currently used less frequently.

The Ruger 10/22 receiver has always been manufactured of aluminum - a different pot metal I suppose. Today, steel aftermarket receivers are available.

There surely are very many ways to send a .22 LR downrange.

I know I would enjoy a Browning BL22 for its short throw action, but a Henry .22 lever with a scope might be just as satisfying.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:
As for the Remington-Marlin 39As. I'm not sure how many of them got produced but the price tag on them was pretty stupid expensive. As I recall they were advertised at two or three times what Marlin had been asking for them before Remington bought them out and the pre-Remington 39A was already at a highly inflated price. GGs $1500 might have been pretty close to the Remlin price.
It was offered as a custom build only for the last few years. I believe it started at $3,900.00. What a deal :shock:

I think I paid $289.00 for my Henry H001 and I traded a $700.00 AR for my Winchester 94/22. The 94 is built so much better, it's just not as accurate as the Henry. The Henry has a little smother action too.

I have a couple Marlin 60s, I prefer them so much more then the 10/22. I really can't stand their mags. It just collects dirt in the back of the safe.

I purchased a Browning SA-22 Maple last year. That's the most accurate and fun to shoot 22 of the bunch. It's like holding a walking cane in your hands.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ahhh ... you pleasantly struck a nerve with the Browning SA22, Golfish !

Around 1964 a good bud was presented one of these sleek little Belgian Brownings with a 4x scope by his Dad. Comparatively spendy even way back then, possibly a takedown rifle, but whoa it handled so nicely. Seemed very sophisticated to me. I got to shoot it and obviously really wanted one, but without some parental financial assistance, that would not and did not happen. What a handsome legacy John Browning firearm.

Instead, my birch stocked Ruger 10/22 was still the new kid on the block, consumer priced ~ $50. It looked cool (m1 carbine cool). It was approved by my Dad. I put up with those magazines, would occasionally soak them with Hoppes solvent. During early teen years, my son put a lot of bricks of .22 through that little carbine. During those times 550 round boxes of .22 ran $10-12 on sale.

Maybe a dozen years ago I got a wild hair and swapped on a bull barrel to the 10/22 receiver, installed a Timney trigger, attached a bigazz 6-24x scope and fitted all in an aftermarket synthetic Anschutz style match stock. At the bench, I entertained myself for a while shooting bottle caps at 100 yards. Then a land surveyor pal, with the old Winchester 190 semi-auto, suggested we get out rabbit hunting during winter months. I changed the rifle back to stock carbine configuration, albeit with the Timney trigger intact, and that's the way it has stayed. I touched up sanded & rattle-canned the receiver with black hi-temp engine paint and baked it to freshen things up.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The hands down best feature of a 10/22 and the reason it is likely superior to a M60 is the magazine design. I have one of each and have owned one other 10/22 ... and more than a dozen variations of the Marlin.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Arroyoshark wrote:Ahhh ... you pleasantly struck a nerve with the Browning SA22, Golfish !

Around 1964 a good bud was presented one of these sleek little Belgian Brownings with a 4x scope by his Dad. Comparatively spendy even way back then, possibly a takedown rifle, but whoa it handled so nicely. Seemed very sophisticated to me. I got to shoot it and obviously really wanted one, but without some parental financial assistance, that would not and did not happen. What a handsome legacy John Browning firearm.

Instead, my birch stocked Ruger 10/22 was still the new kid on the block, consumer priced ~ $50. It looked cool (m1 carbine cool). It was approved by my Dad. I put up with those magazines, would occasionally soak them with Hoppes solvent. During early teen years, my son put a lot of bricks of .22 through that little carbine. During those times 550 round boxes of .22 ran $10-12 on sale.

Maybe a dozen years ago I got a wild hair and swapped on a bull barrel to the 10/22 receiver, installed a Timney trigger, attached a bigazz 6-24x scope and fitted all in an aftermarket synthetic Anschutz style match stock. At the bench, I entertained myself for a while shooting bottle caps at 100 yards. Then a land surveyor pal, with the old Winchester 190 semi-auto, suggested we get out rabbit hunting during winter months. I changed the rifle back to stock carbine configuration, albeit with the Timney trigger intact, and that's the way it has stayed. I touched up sanded & rattle-canned the receiver with black hi-temp engine paint and baked it to freshen things up.
Mr Browning designed some wonderfull guns :)

I just think a mag for a 22 rifle is ridiculous. My 10/22 shoots ok, maybe as good as my 94 and 60.
Its just those stupid mags. For sure the worst factory mags of any gun that I own.

There's such a huge aftermarket to make them better. "To bad all that has to be done to make it like it should have been in the first place" ;)
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

GasGuzzler wrote:The hands down best feature of a 10/22 and the reason it is likely superior to a M60 is the magazine design. I have one of each and have owned one other 10/22 ... and more than a dozen variations of the Marlin.
Wow! Why would you buy that many model 60s when you feel the 10/22 is superior?