Bought a new lever gun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
N8tmi

Bought a new lever gun

Post by N8tmi »

I bought a new Henry 4001 22lr on Thursday. Love it
GasGuzzler

Re: Bought a new lever gun

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good to hear you like it. I am not a Henry fan in the least.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Very fun and well made little 22. Some are not fans, but I have thousands of rounds through two rifles and they have been great.
Plastic has no soul...
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I don't use one, but I have two close friends who each like to shoot their Henry .22 wmr levers very much. I've tried both and they run smoothly and shoot accurately.

Seems today your .22 lever shopping options are more limited. Henry's seem to dominate sales figures, but there are a few other current offerings in the Rossi Rio Bravo, Chiappa .22 which may be a clone of the discontinued Marlin 39A and the pricer Browning BL22. If one is not a "traditionalist" seeking an discontinued original Marlin 39A o ra Whichester9422 - or if one is fortunate to already have one of those, then I think the Henry .22 levers make a good choice. In most cases these .22 lever receivers are all a steel plate over a cast lower frame and function nearly similar.

So, enjoy your Henry .22 lever and shoot the heck out of it - as long as .22 LR ammo is available ...
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I do not own a 22 lr lever, but I do have a Winchester 255 in 22 WMR. The Model 250 was the 22 lr equivalent. Very modern lines and die cast receivers, so they don’t appeal to the traditionalists. Superceded by the 9422. I think you can buy 3 Model 250s for the price of a 9422, or 5 Model 255s for the price of a 9422M. I’d ruther spend my money on ammo.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Guess I am one of the "lucky" ones. Picked up a 1951 model 39A "Peanut" a few years ago before they doubled in price.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

My Henry H001 is my most accurate 22lr with open sights. It out shoots my Winchester 94/22 all day long. They make a nice gun and have great customer service. I'm about to send one back to them. I bought a Long Ranger in 308 a couple years ago. It's a beautiful gun but it's a terrible shooter. My H001 is way more accurate at 100 yards then this long Ranger is.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

golfish, your remarks about your Henry .22 certainly parallel what my buddies say about their Henry levers.

HarryAlonzo, that old Winchester 255 is sleek, teasing the mind to think Savage 99 or Winchester 88. My hunting buddy has used a Winchester 190 semi auto since high school years in Wyoming and wore out the action/trigger module. We found a newer replacement on e-bay a couple years ago.

Mr. GasGuzzler, your long ago score of an old, now rarely offered, Marlin 39A "Peanut" must make you the "fortunate son" in that regard - lol. (apology to John Fogarty). Very nice lil' rifle, but not so much an affordable option anymore to someone wanting a .22 lever rifle, as you implied. Perhaps Ruger will reintroduce the model 39A.

I am surprised no-one drags out their now ancient Ithaca M-49 single shot lever action as being their legacy .22 since their teen years in the 60's ... they were simple and accurate.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Arroyoshark wrote:golfish, your remarks about your Henry .22 certainly parallel what my buddies say about their Henry levers.
They really do make a good gun for the money. My buddy has a Big Boy Steel (not a side loader) in 45 long colt and a brass reciever Big Boy in .357 (again not a side loader) we're both fans of the tube feed magazine. It's just easier for us old guys out at the range (Mojave) zero problems with either one. I was kind of surprised to see how bad my Long Ranger shoots, it's a beautiful gun.

Its funny that you mention Ithaca. My grandfather bought me a model 66 .410 for Christmas around 1970. It has a lever action break. I used to love to shoot trap with that gun. I've read so many good things about the M-49. I think my nephew has one.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Arroyoshark wrote:I am surprised no-one drags out their now ancient Ithaca M-49 single shot lever action as being their legacy .22 since their teen years in the 60's ... they were simple and accurate.
I was born in the '70's. Henry's .22 is a pot metal receiver with a painted facade. If they made it like a 39A the MSRP would be $1500. Because so, I don't see Ruger bringing back the 39A at all.