Henry Long Ranger

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Henry Long Ranger

Post by golfish »

I'm courious if any member has any experience with this newer Henry..
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Henry Long Ranger

Post by Archer »

I have looked one over pretty close but I have no experience with it as far as firing one.
A three years ago the videos on youtube were pretty slim.
There's a couple dozen of them on their now.

Here's an example

These guys should have used Medium or low rings and the I don't see much reason to thread the barrel although if you had a suppressor it wouldn't be a bad thing. The current legal climate makes that somewhat expensive and being in CA makes it impossible however.

Basically it is a very similar design to the Browning BLR.
A couple years ago at the prices they were bringing I sort of preferred the BLR.
If the price on the Henry dropped from the $700+ point it was going for the Henry might be more interesting.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I picked up one a few days ago in .308. I took it out to the Mojave but the rain kind of messed with us. I put a Burris 3x9x40 scope on it. Very well made guns, the lever is smooth with a nice crisp trigger.

I gave it to my son for his HS graduation, at least that's what I told the boss. He's going to get the whole collection anyways.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

At a defensive handgun seminar, hosted at a gun shop after hours, they had a 308 in a rack that I handled. I asked if I could buy it but the shop side was closed. I thought about making the hour and a half drive back to get it but ended up trading into a Savage 99 308. Happy with the 99, but I bet the LR is a great rifle.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

golfish wrote:I picked up one a few days ago in .308. I took it out to the Mojave but the rain kind of messed with us. I put a Burris 3x9x40 scope on it. Very well made guns, the lever is smooth with a nice crisp trigger.

I gave it to my son for his HS graduation, at least that's what I told the boss. He's going to get the whole collection anyways.
I think my truck still needs a bath from the silly sprinkle of rain through the ash we got then.

Looking forward to a more complete report.
What part of the Mojave are you trying to go shooting in?
I'm about 30-35 minutes south of the 'city' of Mojave.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Henry Rifles is a fine outfit. Yearly they keep adding to the options. We are blessed to have a US of A company that produces leer rifles that shoot.

Archer I read that ash statement and thought.. Does the west have an active volcano ? Then I remembered the fires.
Down here in southern Peru we have two separate cones spewing out a fine ash about 60 miles away so we get that nasty stuff far to often.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah up here CA burns up once or twice a year not to mention if Mexico catches on fire we usually get get the smoke and crap from that as well. Weird smelling smoke from a fire a hundred or more miles away.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:
golfish wrote:I picked up one a few days ago in .308. I took it out to the Mojave but the rain kind of messed with us. I put a Burris 3x9x40 scope on it. Very well made guns, the lever is smooth with a nice crisp trigger.

Looking forward to a more complete report.
What part of the Mojave are you trying to go shooting in?
I'm about 30-35 minutes south of the 'city' of Mojave.
I have a spot about 20 miles north of Adelanto and about 1.5 Miles east of the 395. Its private mining land. I've been shooting out there for 7-8 years.
Your in the Palmdale/Lancaster area, right?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah, I'm pretty much in Sandcaster.
Got a membership at TSC where I usually end up shooting and one at DMRPC out Angeles Crest where I used to go a lot but don't find myself nearly as often.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty much in Sandcaster.
Got a membership at TSC where I usually end up shooting and one at DMRPC out Angeles Crest where I used to go a lot but don't find myself nearly as often.
I met a couple guys on Cal Guns, we started going out there about 2 years ago (I've been going there for years) Great guys that have much more knowledge then I do ( not saying much). It's just us 3 old racist white guys. We spend more time shooting the s*** then we do shooting guns. Its mostly lever guns, single action revolvers, 1911s.

Your more than welcome to join us. We're all retired and most of the time it's a 2-3 day notice.

So far, I'm not all that impressed with the .308 Long Ranger.