Henry has a side loading gate

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
GasGuzzler

Re: Henry has a side loading gate

Post by GasGuzzler »

It says "DEER" on the side. I feel sorry for the deer. Hope anyone using .30C to hunt deer really knows what he's doing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Have to be a head shot for sure.
I will use these in a ruger blackhawk.
Only pistol cartridge that comes close to it in penetration is the 7.62x25 TOK.
7.62x25 pushes a 30 caliber 85 gr bullet around 1400 fps.
30 carbine blackhawk pushes a 30 caliber 110 gr bullet 1400 fps.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Speaking of...I saw a .30C Old Model 7.5" at the Ft. Worth show today.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ive seen them on gunbroker for ridiculous prices, the old original ones.
30 carbine will destroy steel targets, some ranges wont allow them.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 30 Carbine, against deer and hogs, is all about bullet construction, shot placement, and knowing the range limitations. To me, those are qualifiers for any cartridge though. It is near identical to the 32-20 Win. My dad and I have the used the 30 Carbine for years, more back in the seventies and eighties. The Carbine is a Universal built in the late sixties, we have never had a problem with it, and it very accurate. When he bought it, we figured shot placement would be essential, and put a low power scope on it. I consider the cartridge useful through 80-yards, more than the limit of visibility in most of my country. At the shot, I ventilate their heart/lung and have not had, but a typical exposed lead core 30-caliber bullet hole cut entirely through the critter.

Within the last year and a half, I've run a bunch of ammo for the cartridge through my Lee Load-Master. I went with the PPU 110-grain SP this time. I had thought about going to cast bullets, but could not get them to compete with the accuracy of the jacketed.

With my fetish for scout rifles, I've struggled the last several years with the desire for the Inland Scout, but I have a tough time spending $1200 on any firearm. I think that my dad paid about $25~$40 for the Universal back in the sixties.
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I have been wanting the inland scout for a couple years now also, but cant bring myself to put down $1200 either.
Ive been looking at the auto ordnance, trying to find out all i can about them.
They have a good rating on buds.
Between $700/$800.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/sea ... 30+Carbine

Still hoping the M1s that are in S. Korea will make there way here.
But I am afraid the prices will be just as high as inland or auto ordnance, once the dealers get a hold of them.
Unless they come through the NRA.

Was on one forum, one guy from Hawaii said back in the sixties, they were selling them for $20/$40 dollars.
He said they used them for hog hunting.
Forget how big he said their hogs are over there, but said that 110 FMJ military ball ammo would go straight through a hogs head with no problem.

They make for an ideal scout rifle, what do they weigh? 5 or 6 lbs.
and you can put 50 rds in your back pocket and barely feel the weight
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have an early spring tube Winchester and a IAI before Auto Ordnance bought them out.
The IAI is ok but required a break in period and a few hundred rounds downrange to be reliable. Mine has the wooden handguard and I had to shim it at the front to keep it from some movement.

Auto Ordnance may have improved IAI when they started putting them out somewhat I'm not sure but going back to the WWII rear sight was a mistake IMO.

I've seen at least two versions of the Universal growing up. One was essentially the exact military M1-Carb the other had a toggle switch like you'd see off an electronics board in place of the bolt hold open.