44 mag?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 44 mag?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Congratulations on the purchase! Can't wait to see the pictures and performance. Will this rifle be scoped?
Haven't decided yet. Budget might not stretch that far for a bit.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

See if this works, not sure I have it small enough:
Henry 1-crop-web.jpg
The wood is nice American walnut not fancy but nice grain. Not sure if the checking is cut or embossed, but it's sharp and even and provides a nice feel when mounting the rifle.

Hope to get to range tomorrow finally found a box of Federal 44 mag 240 JHP. 44 mag seems in short supply around here.

Make smoke,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Well, I leaned so far I fell over. As I sit here at the coffee shop using the free internet a Henry BB Steel in 44 mag sits in the back of the pathfinder. There currently seems to be a shortage of 44mag paper punching ammo locally. I can find all sorts of the fancy stuff all I want is a 50 round box of American eagle or the like.

Pictures and range report to follow. Winter storm fixing to blow through in the AM so I might be house bound at least until some time Sunday. I generally try to avoid the motoring incompetence in the first few hours of heavy snow fall.

Make smoke,
Walmart, Winchester White box USA is about the plinkinist that it gets unless you are looking for small vendor first run ammo or reloads. I trust Georgia Arms and Black Hills to be good stuff but it's probably a wait for it to show up proposition for you. Ammo Valley has impressed me as to price on their loads and I haven't heard any bad reports but I haven't heard much about them either. So far I've had good luck with their 10mm, .380 and 9mm

I bought two boxes of .44 when I got my Winchester ages ago and loaded about 1500 rounds over the years before I bought any more factory stuff. I ended up buying a bit because I didn't have time to load a few years ago but I need to break the loader out and turn out another 600 to 1000 rounds some time soon.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Found a box of Federal 240gr JHP and got to the indoor range a little while ago. Got to say I am pleased with this rifle. At 25 yards as long as I do my job it's more than willing to handle its part. A couple of 5 shot strings had 4 touching, but the operator let down on the 5th and blew a nice group. With the rubber recoil pad it handles nicely. It's felt but not extreme. The white insert semi-buckhorn is a little different than the sight picture I've grown accustom to but after a few rounds the eye adapted.
Fit and finish is great and the action smooth as butter. First tube loader I've own and don't find it a handicap. Here in Ohio we're only allowed 3 rounds total for deer, so I figure load it before I leave the car and put a few more in my day pack and the way things have gone the past couple seasons that's more than I'll need.

Make smoke,