44 mag?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

44 mag?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm hoping to be able to add a 44 mag to the lever lineup. Rossi 92s seem pretty much unavailable so either Henry or Marlin. Henry seems to get good reviews Marlin only so so. The 1894 is a nice looking gun and a wee less expensive, but it has to spend more time at the smith's than in the field. I like the looks of the Henry Big Boy brass with the 20" octagonal barrel or the Big Boy steel also 20" but round. If anyone has either or a very recent 1894 I'd like to hear your reviews.

Make smoke
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 44 mag?

Post by akuser47 »

I don't have a big boy, but I have played with them at gun stores they are heavy. Go and lift one up before buying online as this might be a deal breaker for you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

akuser47 wrote:I don't have a big boy, but I have played with them at gun stores they are heavy. Go and lift one up before buying online as this might be a deal breaker for you.
Yeo, it is a handful, I hefted one today and I've got to say the weight of the steel Big Boy is easier on the carry, but they both have swivel studs so that's a help.

Still cogitating

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Steel rifles attract me, and the tube feed doesn't bother me in the least. Honestly, I prefer my R92 454 Casull and 480 Ruger rifle's designs over the others because of it. It would be hard to find better-looking wood on a Henry lever gun than any others in this price range. Honestly, and for me, I would buy a Henry over a current manufacture Marlin any day of the week. Marlin will never offer the level of support that Henry can.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Definitely leaning towards the BB Steel. Thanks Michael.

Make smoke
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Another plus with the Henry is a rifling twist that makes modern day cense. WE have a Henry BB in 41 mag and it is 3x a better rifle than the Marlin we have had for years.
If Rossi would just awaken and run some 41 Mags !!
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
medezyner

Post by medezyner »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I'm hoping to be able to add a 44 mag to the lever lineup. Rossi 92s seem pretty much unavailable so either Henry or Marlin. Henry seems to get good reviews Marlin only so so. The 1894 is a nice looking gun and a wee less expensive, but it has to spend more time at the smith's than in the field. I like the looks of the Henry Big Boy brass with the 20" octagonal barrel or the Big Boy steel also 20" but round. If anyone has either or a very recent 1894 I'd like to hear your reviews.

Make smoke
Cant help you on the selection, but that Henry BB sure is a sweet looking rifle. I handled quite a few different levers and checked out their weight before I landed on my Rossi 16” carbine 44 mag. I’m into beating the bushes for my venison and some days I’m covering more than a few miles so weight was important to me. I focused on the .44 mag because I also handgun hunt with my S&W 29 and thought it ideal to have both in the same caliber. At a hair under 5 pounds, the Rossi is a treat to carry. I added a fixed 2.5x Leupold which only added 8 ounces. I think I’d have to get my Sherpa to carry that 8 3/4 pound brass BB, or I’d be dragging it back to camp…but it sure is purty. The .44 mag has got plenty of horsepower for deer, especially the hotter Buffalo Bore and Underwood grenades.
"We deal in lead, friend."
- Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well, I leaned so far I fell over. As I sit here at the coffee shop using the free internet a Henry BB Steel in 44 mag sits in the back of the pathfinder. There currently seems to be a shortage of 44mag paper punching ammo locally. I can find all sorts of the fancy stuff all I want is a 50 round box of American eagle or the like.

Pictures and range report to follow. Winter storm fixing to blow through in the AM so I might be house bound at least until some time Sunday. I generally try to avoid the motoring incompetence in the first few hours of heavy snow fall.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Snowing here in North Texas as I make a side comment on ammo...

Although I have not bought any factory .38 or .357 in years, I noticed the amount available locally diminished greatly during the shortage. Wonder if THAT many people started reloading? .357 is likely the easiest there is.

Anyway, congrats on the Henry. I still need a .45 of some brand. Pics are mandatory.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Congratulations on the purchase! Can't wait to see the pictures and performance. Will this rifle be scoped?
Michael